Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tseebach
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

Command line OCX app

Hello, I would like to create a non GUI OCX application in Visual Studio or Visual C++, that can be accessed from commandline. BUT I can only access the the OCX object when a form based application type is selected, I cannot find a way to create a control for use in a non form based application. I think this sounds crazy, so plese tell me I'm wrong??

Btw should there not be a forum for OCX???

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Not applicable

You might try either calling an EDX job from publisher or calling the publisher Execution Service from the command line. Both will give you a reload that can be triggered progammatically and yet runs in batch mode (i.e. has no UI) and as a bonus you get publisher's scalability and logging. You can get more info on either of these techniques in the QlikView Publisher Reference manual.

Regards,

Dan

View solution in original post

11 Replies
Not applicable

Hi Torben,

Unfortunately there is indeed no way to do this at present. We have had several requests for this and I'm taking it up as an enhancement request.

I have just added a user group for OEM partner's and there is a forum inside that user group we can use.

Regards,

Dan English

tseebach
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni
Author

Hi Dan,

Thanks for your reply, good to know whats possible. I was a bit afraid I would get that answer though.

Do you have any idea weather this might come for version 9?

Not applicable

Unfortunately I do not think it will be in 9.0. I will do my best to get it in to the next feature release after 9.0.

Regards,

Dan

tseebach
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni
Author

Okay, we are counting on you 🙂

Do you have any recommendations on what the best alternative is? I'm thinking either of doing a simple .vbs script that creates a QV object (which unfortunatly starts QlikView app) or doing a form based app that reads out some settings from a file does the job and quits. I would like to do it as elegant as possible, but both methods are bit messy.

Not applicable

You might try either calling an EDX job from publisher or calling the publisher Execution Service from the command line. Both will give you a reload that can be triggered progammatically and yet runs in batch mode (i.e. has no UI) and as a bonus you get publisher's scalability and logging. You can get more info on either of these techniques in the QlikView Publisher Reference manual.

Regards,

Dan

Not applicable

I just found this scrap of macro code that may be useful. It will allow you to fire off a reload without a reload dialog popping up.

Is there a means to hide the reload dialog in Developer?

Use the following Macro API:

ActiveDocument.ReloadEx 2,1

Provided by Henric Cronstrom!

tseebach
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni
Author

That does off course give a bit more flexibility and user friendliness. The tricky bit will then be to parse some parameters to that app. I guess I need to read up on visual studio to find the best method.

I've looked into calling QVB.exe from commandline, but I cannot find anything on which parameters it takes. And /h /H -h --help did not give anything usefull 😉 Any ideas?

Not applicable

qvb.exe is not callable from anything other than Publisher, hence why there is no docuementation for it.

As Dan mentions it is possible to call the execution service from the command line.

Chris

tseebach
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni
Author

Hi guys,

Thanks for the replies. What I have ended up doing is making a Visual Studio Forms application, and added a module, which I have set as the startup. Here I'm handling the read of commandline arguments, making sure its single instance, clean up of files and set up logging. The module at the end then calls a form, which spawns a new thread that handles the QlikView stuff. This works rather nicely.

The drawback are still, that a forms window pops up, I cannot write back to the terminal (all messages are shown in the form in a status field).

The good thing is that Try Catch is working like a charm, and I'm able to catch all errors.