Skip to main content
Announcements
Live today at 11 AM ET. Get your questions about Qlik Connect answered, or just listen in. SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Converting Text to DateTime

I am receiving an excel file with date and time data on each record (e.g., Apr 21, 2013 10:15 PM).  I have tried to follow a number of the posts on this site on how to convert this to a datetime format within QlikView.  So far no luck.

Can someone please provide me sample code on how to make convert this from text to a single datetime field?

Thanks!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
maxgro
MVP
MVP

to interpret the excel field

=date#('Apr 21, 2013 10:15 PM', 'MMM DD, YYYY hh:mm TT')

=date#(excelfield, 'MMM DD, YYYY hh:mm TT')

to interpret and format

=date(date#('Apr 21, 2013 10:15 PM', 'MMM DD, YYYY hh:mm TT'),'DD/MM/YYYY hh:mm:ss')

=date(date#(excelfield, 'MMM DD, YYYY hh:mm TT'),'DD/MM/YYYY hh:mm:ss')

View solution in original post

8 Replies
its_anandrjs

Use Date and Date# function with Alt functions if required and if you provide any sample data then it will more easy to help.

ecolomer
Master II
Master II

You can convert the format in the excel file to date (YYYY/MM/DD HH:MM) and use in QV the function Date and Date#

Not applicable
Author

Thanks, Enrique.  I am getting these excel files automatically, and trying not to introduce any manual steps to ready it for QlikView.  Hoping to simply use code within QlikView to convert it to a datetime. 

Not applicable
Author

Anand, attached is a sample Excel file.  I have tried both Date and Date# without success.

maxgro
MVP
MVP

to interpret the excel field

=date#('Apr 21, 2013 10:15 PM', 'MMM DD, YYYY hh:mm TT')

=date#(excelfield, 'MMM DD, YYYY hh:mm TT')

to interpret and format

=date(date#('Apr 21, 2013 10:15 PM', 'MMM DD, YYYY hh:mm TT'),'DD/MM/YYYY hh:mm:ss')

=date(date#(excelfield, 'MMM DD, YYYY hh:mm TT'),'DD/MM/YYYY hh:mm:ss')

ecolomer
Master II
Master II

OK,

if the format is allways the same you can process them:

Month=Month(left(date_time,3)

Day=Day((mid(date_time, 5,2)

Year=(mid(date_time,9,4) ....

Not applicable
Author

Massimo, I can't tell you how many things I have tried but none seemed to work (obviously some typo).  This worked very well.  Thank you!

Not applicable
Author

Got the answer.  Thanks!