Skip to main content
Announcements
Live today at 11 AM ET. Get your questions about Qlik Connect answered, or just listen in. SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Count distinct based on number of events

Hi Qlik Community,

I need to create a chart and table where I need to count number of terminals that are bouncing (out of network or coming in to the network for very short time) and also another count based on different criteria, which is based on number of events (e.g. number of events where terminal is out of network within observation period).

The key information in my table for this is as follows:

Time Stamp, Terminal Id, Network status

Time stamp periodicity is every 5 minutes (each row shows 5 minutes worth of information)

The content of network status is IN_NETWORK or OUT of NETWORK, with some additional information (text) indicating how long the terminal is in the network.

I'd like to count:

1. Number of terminals which are bouncing (changing from in-network to out of network or vice versa within certain duration, e.g. 2 or 3 consecutive time stamp samples). Please note each row in the table is 5 minutes data, so 2 consecutive samples where terminal is out of network is 10 minutes.
  2. Number of  terminals which are out of network for 5 minutes ( 1 time stamp sample), 10 minutes ( 2 time stamp samples) and 15 minutes (3 time stamp samples), etc.  This does not need to be with the criteria as above (changing status from in to out or vice versa for certain duration)
  3. Table showing for each terminal number of times where it is out of network more than 10  minutes (e.g. 2 time stamp samples).

The dimension will be Time stamp and the expression will be the above count. 

What would be the right expression for the above?

Appreciate any help on this.

18 Replies
Digvijay_Singh

Thanks for correcting it, I realized that I missed set expression in inner count.

Not sure but looks like dimension needs to be a calculated one to have buckets of 5 min, 10 min etc.

sunny_talwar

I don't think the expression is working still. I am still having a hard time wrapping my head around the requirement.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

I tried the latest expression suggested by Sunny

*=Count(DISTINCT{<[Terminal Id] = {"=Count({<[Terminal Status] =

{'UNDETECTED')}>} ) > 2"}>} ) *

but this is not showing any result in my chart, and this is what I also did

before.

The expression suggested by Digvijay is showing result but I am not so sure

if the result in my chart is correct. Just feel the number is quite high.

For the time bucket on the dimesnion, I simply use

=Timestamp((Ceil(,1/IntervalName)), 'DD-MMM-hh:mm')

I added the interval name as part of input box and have some numeric values

to define my interval.

In the LOAD script I added this:

LOAD * INLINE [

IntervalSize, IntervalName

288, 5 Minutes

144, 10 Minutes

96, 15 Minutes

48, 30 Minutes

24, 1 Hour

];

Any suggestion on the expression or does the suggested expression from

Digvijay shows the correct result?

On Thu, Jun 30, 2016 at 12:36 PM, Digvijay Singh <qcwebmaster@qlikview.com>

Digvijay_Singh

I think I understood a bit

He needs to count terminal ids which are 'undetected' for two consecutive time periods, similarly for 3 consecutive time period or 4 etc...

I think the complexity lies in defining calculated dimension defining buckets of these time periods, more complexity may be as time periods will overlap to cover all combinations.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

I have 3 separate requirements as explained in my initial posting, but

let;s deal with requirement number 2 first as it may be simpler than

others. This is simply counting number of distinct terminals experiencing

more than 2 or 3 or more undetected status within certain period (e.g.

every hour).

Requirement number 1 is a bit complex where I need to count number of

distinct terminals experiencing change of status from in network or

undetected or vice versa for a period of at least 2 samples (10 minutes).

Requirement number 3 is pretty much similar with number 2, just in table

format.

I hope this clarifies.

Digvijay_Singh

Do you expect repeated terminal id for different consecutive timestamp values like 29-05-2016 00:00:00, 29-05-2016 00:05:00 etc.

Also shouldn't we count terminal status as 'Undetected' in the inner count  and check with >2?

Can you check attached sample I have created, and changed data with the intention to repeat HW351.1281 for first two time period. So I understand from this as, this particular terminal id is undetected for two time periods and it should be counted as 1 in the 10 min interval.

Your dimension expression you shared has missing Timestamp field I think. May be a typo.

Capture.JPG

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Hi,

So I understand from this as, this particular terminal id is undetected for two time periods and it should be counted as 1 in the 10 min interval.

Yes, this is correct.

BTW,   for this question, Do you expect repeated terminal id for different consecutive timestamp values like 29-05-2016 00:00:00, 29-05-2016 00:05:00 etc.

You are correct, the same terminal ID should show right value after 5 minutes. The sample file I sent seems to be incorrect and corrupted.  Please find the correct one attached.

I assume you are referring to requirement number 1 for counting how many bouncing terminals that have bounces more than 1, 2, 3  for certain observation period (e.g. one hour or one day or one week).

Bouncing terminal is defined as a terminal whose status changes from  one state to another state (in network or undetected) only for short period of time (two time stamp samples or 10 minutes -certainly we can change it to shorter or longer one) and then go back to its previous state (either undetected or in network). In other words, these terminal are considered unstable terminal.  In this case undetected is simply when status change only happens in two samples (e.g. 10 minutes).

The requirement is to count how many terminals that behave like this per observation period (e.g. one day) with a criteria on the number of bounces (per hour or per day), either 2 or 3 bounces per hour or per day.

So, for instance the output would be number of terminals that bounces 3 times per observation period .

Digvijay_Singh

See attached after applying new file, Can you confirm manually if output is  shown correctly?

Capture.JPG

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Hi,

This seems only shows number terminals with undetected status more than x

samples, which is the same result as the expression that was suggested

earlier

=count(DISTINCT{<[Terminal Status]={"=count([Terminal

Status]='UNDETECTED')=>2"}>}[Terminal Id]).

The intention is to count

1. Number of bouncing terminals, where bouncing is defined as terminal

that changes status from in network to undetected for 10 minutes (this can

be changed as required) and then go back to in network again or vice

versa, from undetected to in network (only for 10 minutes) and then go back

to in network

2. Number of bounces that happens for 10 minutes or 15 minutes etc.

Any idea how this can be calculated with Qlikview?

On Thu, Jun 30, 2016 at 8:43 PM, Digvijay Singh <qcwebmaster@qlikview.com>