Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Create a New Dimension utilizing an existing dimension

Hello all,

I have a larger question that relates to this in the layout and visualization section of the community, but I was hoping to get some help with a direction that another user pointed me in.

So here is my situation.

I have a bar chart (stacked) with two dimensions. 1. Employee Name and 2. Project Stage.

I then have one dimension that averages each of my project stages stacks it into one column for employee name.

The issue that I am having is that some employees I would like to exclude from the list (no longer with us, new role, etc.)

The suggestion another user had brought up was by creating a new dimension that only includes the individuals I would like to look at and using this instead of my original Employee Name field. A sort of Employee Name 2.0 if you will. They also recommended that I convert the names I did not want included to null, which would then exclude from my reporting.

Can anyone give me some direction on this?

Regards,

Myles

4 Replies
jonasheisterkam
Partner - Creator III
Partner - Creator III

Have i understood you right, that you want have in this chart the selection to active employee and at the rest of the dashboard you will see all? Have you flag them?

1. use aggr with flagfield as dimension aggr(if(notNull(aktiv),Employee,Employee))

or

2. use alternate state

or

3. use set analysis in expression with flagfield and dont let show null values.

Not applicable
Author

Hi Jonas,

Thank you replying to my message.

I have not flagged them anywhere. There are several reasons I want to report on them in other areas (just not in these one chart). But, yes I would like to include only a select number of the employees (which is still the majority), and I would rather hide/exclude the others for the purpose of the story I am detailing in this report.

The flagging does seem like something I may want to do down the line to help signify management vs staff. However, for now I would like to simply include only the individuals of my choosing.

Of the above, which is the easiest/quickest to implement?

Regards,

Myles

jonasheisterkam
Partner - Creator III
Partner - Creator III

very easy to use in a not lage number of charts and only charts is the aggr as dimension but you need an expression to check if it is a value you will see or not.

aggr(if(Contition,Employee,Employee)) //Select the option to hide Null-Values, if you want see the "others" you need a else part in that if

The best solution for your report depends on the objects and the datamodel you have now and in future. there is not "the right answer"

Not applicable
Author

Hello Jonas,

I already have an expression that I use to combine the various stages of my projects to calculate the project time. Would I be able to work the aggr function into this?

=num(if(IsNull(avg({$*<ProjectStage={'Stage 2'}, [Project.Flag]={'0'}, [Project status]={'Actual'}>} CycleTime)), 0, avg({$*<ProjectStage={'Stage 3'}, [Project.Flag]={'0'}, [Project status]={'Actual'}>} CycleTime)) +
if(IsNull(avg({$*<ProjectStage={'Stage 3'}, [Project.Flag]={'0'}, [Project status]={'Actual'}>} CycleTime)), 0, avg({$*<ProjectStage={'Stage 4'}, [Project.Flag]={'0'}, [Project status]={'Actual'}>} CycleTime)) +
if(IsNull(avg({$*<ProjectStage={'Stage 1'}, [Project.Flag]={'0'}, [Project status]={'Actual'}>} CycleTime)), 0, avg({$*<ProjectStage={'Stage 2'}, [Project.Flag]={'0'}, [Project status]={'Actual'}>} CycleTime)) +
if(IsNull(avg({$*<ProjectStage={'Stage 4'}, [Project.Flag]={'0'}, [Project status]={'Actual'}>} CycleTime)), 0, avg({$*<ProjectStage={'Stage 5'}, [Project.Flag]={'0'}, [Project status]={'Actual'}>} CycleTime)), '#,##0')

Regards,

Myles