Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dadumas
Creator II
Creator II

Creating a (true) YTD measure

I wanted to share something in a post from Sunny Talwar that allowed me to create a true YTD measure which ignores selections (which is what you need) that users make on any date selections except for year.  I have not seen this anywhere in the docs, or books - I have many.  This indeed works.  Thanks Sunny!:

If there are any other solutions to this, I would love to see them.

Sum({<PeriodId = {"<= $(=Max({<Quarter,Month>}PeriodId))"},Year={"$(=Max({<Quarter,Month>}Year))"},Month=>}Sales)

Adding the {<Month>} modifiers "fixes"  what I would call a bug in set analysis.  I love Qlik, but creating time intelligence functions really should not be that hard  

Thanks,

Dave

5 Replies
sunny_talwar

I guess it depends on what you call a true YTD. What if you user wants to see YTD based on Month selection? For example, the max month is Oct, but they want to see YTD June.... this is till true YTD... In fact this is a might be more intuitive to a new user as he would expect to see YTD based on the month he has selected.... in this case, the expression will be this

Sum({<PeriodId = {"<= $(=Max(PeriodId))"},Year={"$(=Max(Year))"},Month=, Quarter>}Sales)

But if the goal is to see YTD regardless of any month or quarter selected, then why not create a flag in the script? this would make the expression so much more simpler without adding set analysis within set analysis?

sunny_talwar

Look at HIC's response here to create a flag

dadumas
Creator II
Creator II
Author

Hi Sunny,

Just saw your reply to this post, late, sorry.  I do not see a link to the HIC's solution for creating a flag in the script.  When you get a chance can you send the link or clarify?

Thanks,

Dave

sunny_talwar

Sorry, here is the link

YTD(Year to date)

dadumas
Creator II
Creator II
Author

Thanks Sunny!

On Mon, Jan 8, 2018 at 10:59 AM, Sunny Talwar <qcwebmaster@qlikview.com>