Qlik Community

QlikView Scripting

Discussion Board for collaboration on QlikView Scripting.

Announcements
QlikView Fans! We’d love to hear from you.
Share your QlikView feedback with the product team… Click here to participate in our 5-minute survey.
Rules, plus terms and conditions, can be found here.
Not applicable

Data reduction/omit combination?

I have a table of data, with one sensitive column ,where some users must not see those values where their department does not match, but i do NOT want the entire row hidden.

For example

Employee A works in Finance

Employee B works in HR

My table consist of 4 columns.

ClientName, EmailAddress, Department, SensitiveNotes

where Department is either HR or Finance

Therefore I need both employees to ALWAYS to be able to see the data in the first 3 columns. BUT i only want them to be able to see SensitiveNotes where their departments match.

It seems the OMIT function removes the entire column from view, which is not what I want.

Using a Reduction field removes the entire row from view, which again is not what I want.

So i sort of need a combination of these two functions.

Please help!

3 Replies
Not applicable

Re: Data reduction/omit combination?

I assume in your DB where SensitiveNotes are, the employees Department is also present. This means, when you set a trigger on opening a document, you can achieve what you want. Yust create a table that is connected to the others, where you store Department, EmployeeID (or the key you use to identify users) and SensitiveNotes. Put a trigger on opening document with EmployeeId. With the associated table they will see information regarding their department.

Hope it helped!

Best,

T

Not applicable

Yes the employees department is also present.

What exactly do you mean by 'Put a trigger on opening document'? I can't see any trigger actions which hide values.

cts_shin
New Contributor

As I have a similar requirement now, I will share what I have done.

At first, I thought I would create separate fields for SensitiveNotes in the load script,

such as HR_SensitiveNotes and Finance_SensitiveNotes.

Then use OMIT against these two fields.

However, the solution below from Tobias Klett looks smarter.

Section Access: Combining Field Reduction and OMIT

Kind regards,

Shinya

Community Browser