Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
arpitkharkia
Creator III
Creator III

Date as 'key for linkage' issue

Hi all,

Currently im working on a project which has three tables. The data source of these three tables is an excel file. All these tables have date field in common apart from one other field. I want a combination of the two as my key so as to remove synthetic key.

The issue im facing is that all the three date fields are in different range. For example if one date say 14-10-2016 is present in table A then its not present in the other two and vice versa. So after combing the two keys all the data is not linked with each other properly as I may select some date which is not present in other tables hence missing out on data.

Looking for solution asap!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
cotiso_hanganu
Partner - Creator III
Partner - Creator III

But if you don't have intervals, but all your 3 sets of data have facts that share some other columns in common (like article, category, etc), perhaps you should think to force a concatenation of the 3 tables and create a fat single table, with some aligned columns and some columns that are populated only in certain parts of the resulting table.

PS: Don't worry on the Qlik performance, QIX and AQL engines are very good in ignoring the NULLs.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Nicole-Smith

If you have ranges/intervals with start and end dates, you'll want to look at using IntervalMatch ‒ QlikView.

arpitkharkia
Creator III
Creator III
Author

Thanks for your help!

cotiso_hanganu
Partner - Creator III
Partner - Creator III

But if you don't have intervals, but all your 3 sets of data have facts that share some other columns in common (like article, category, etc), perhaps you should think to force a concatenation of the 3 tables and create a fat single table, with some aligned columns and some columns that are populated only in certain parts of the resulting table.

PS: Don't worry on the Qlik performance, QIX and AQL engines are very good in ignoring the NULLs.

arpitkharkia
Creator III
Creator III
Author

Thank you so much for the suggestion. Going to follow this solution!