Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Different data pools?

Hi,

I'm new to QlikView and I got a question concerning data access.

In MS Access, we have two different SQL Statements for two separate reports. As these reports use tables that relate to each other via IDs, my plan was to merge these two statements into one using joins. But it seems that I exclude data by this way, because the results differ from the Access reports numbers.

So I'd need two separate data pools that do not affect each other. Like data Pool A for some charts and data pool B for a list of items (that has no relation to the other selections, just a static list that is generated once the project is opened). Is there any way to do this in one QV project?

Thanks,
pa

4 Replies
Gysbert_Wassenaar

You won't need different data pools, but you will have to create a good data model. One thing to keep in mind that Qlikview has only one data model in which all tables are 'connected' in the sense that a selection in one table will cascade through the entire model to filter the data.

Once you've loaded all the data into qlikview there are several ways to make sure selections affect one chart, but not another. Set analysis expressions and alternate states are two options. If you can create a small sample document with some data and an explanation of what the result should look like I'm sure one of us can show you how to get the result you need.

talk is cheap, supply exceeds demand
Not applicable
Author

Thanks, I've tried to start from scratch: I've selected the four tables for the first statement, without the WHERE clause because this would exclude data needed for the second report. So far the relations in QlikView's data model view between the tables look right.

But now I need to recreate the WHERE clause and INNER JOINs in QV ...because otherwise I don't get the correct numbers.

Data for the charts should only be recognized if IDX=9 OR IDX=10 and if there is related data in table 3 and table 4 (this was handled by the inner joins before). Do I have to insert the WHERE clause (IDX=9 OR IDX=10) in the chart's expression page? How do I recreate those INNER JOINS by QV means?

Gysbert_Wassenaar

Please try to create a sample document: Preparing examples for Upload - Reduction and Data Scrambling

talk is cheap, supply exceeds demand
Not applicable
Author

OK, I've created a very small example: There are four tables- Objects, History of changes, Employees and EInfo (additional info to employee). Right now the chart in the QV file shows the amount of changes on certain days.

Now I want to count only data that has entries in all of these 4 tables (like they would be connected via inner join)- for example, some objects may have a change, but no assigned employee- in this case it should not be counted.

Furthermore only the records with ObjType=9 OR ObjType=10 should be counted.