cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Dynamic field renaming with mapping table from list of loaded fields

Hi,

I'm trying to dynamically rename loaded fields --- specifically I'm trying to rename fields that start with PK_ (primary key) into starting with FK_ (which means foreign key, but QV requires the same name, so FK_ it is.)

So, I loop through the fields and build a mapping table, which looks fine except that it doesn't work. Can anyone tell me why? 🙂

// Data
tab1:
LOAD * Inline [
FK_xxx,Country
1,USA
2,Canada
3,UK]
;

tab2:
LOAD * Inline [
PK_xxx,Continent
1,North America
2,North America
3,Europe
]
;

// For all tables, get field names, put them in table called f_names, field called FName
for ii=1 to NoOfTables()-1  // -1 here because otherwise f_names table itself is included
  for jj=1 to NoOfFields(TableName($(ii)) )
       f_names:

LOAD FieldName($(jj),TableName($(ii))) as FName

Autogenerate 1;

next
next

// Make mapping table
map_1:
mapping LOAD trim(FName) as xxx, trim('FK_' & mid(FName,4,len(FName)-3)) as Map_into
Resident f_names
where wildmatch(FName,'PK_*','GK_*') <> 0;

// Copy of mapping table for debugging purposes
LOAD trim(FName) as xxx, trim('FK_' & mid(FName,4,len(FName)-3)) as Map_into
Resident f_names
where wildmatch(FName,'PK_*','GK_*') <> 0;

drop table f_names;

// Everything seems fine until here, this command seemingly gets ignored -- or is the mapping table wrong?
RENAME Fields using map_1;

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Gysbert_Wassenaar

The problem is you already have a field FK_xxx, so you can't rename another field to FK_xxx. As the help file puts it:

Two differently named fields cannot be renamed to having the same name. The script will run without errors, but the second field will not be renamed.

talk is cheap, supply exceeds demand

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Gysbert_Wassenaar

The problem is you already have a field FK_xxx, so you can't rename another field to FK_xxx. As the help file puts it:

Two differently named fields cannot be renamed to having the same name. The script will run without errors, but the second field will not be renamed.

talk is cheap, supply exceeds demand
Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Really?!  Hm, strange. But thank you very much!