Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Dynamically change data source

Sorry if this is a total noob question, but i have just started using QLikView - I am evaluating it to see if it will fit my needs. One question I have not found the answer to yet on forums / manuals is: can I change the data source dynamically at run-time depending on the selection of a value in a table?

To explain more: I have 10 databases for 10 different divisions of a company. The databases are identical in structure, differ only in the data they contain. I want to be able to show the user a table of divisions (e.g. 'London', 'Manchester', 'Newcastle'), and depending on which one they select, I want to be able to connect to a different database to get my data from (i.e. change the source in my data script from 'ODBC CONNECT TO [London-SQL] to 'ODBC CONNECT TO [Manchester-SQL]')

For now I don't need to know HOW to do this, I only need to know IF this is possible in QlikView. Can anyone confirm this for me? Thanks for any help.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Not applicable
Author

Yes, that is possible with variables!

Here a small example how to connect to 3 databases and select the customer table from each database.
Just insert the variable in the connection string. So in your example when a user on the frontend changes the variable, the connection goes to the selected database..

for each vDatabase in 'Nordwind','DB1','DB2' CONNECT TO [Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;User ID=Admin;Data Source=C:\$(vDatabase).mdb;]; LOAD Region; SQL SELECT Region FROM Customer; next

View solution in original post

6 Replies
Not applicable
Author

Yes, that is possible with variables!

Here a small example how to connect to 3 databases and select the customer table from each database.
Just insert the variable in the connection string. So in your example when a user on the frontend changes the variable, the connection goes to the selected database..

for each vDatabase in 'Nordwind','DB1','DB2' CONNECT TO [Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;User ID=Admin;Data Source=C:\$(vDatabase).mdb;]; LOAD Region; SQL SELECT Region FROM Customer; next
Not applicable
Author

Fantastic. That's just what I need. Thank you so much!

Not applicable
Author

I had a doubt here. From where will you pass the database name to connection string in the Edit script window?.

Thanks,

Raghu.

Not applicable
Author

a) you can allow the user to select the database by setting the variable in an inputbox (see attached example)

b) with the Publisher you may/may not want to do a repeat task to generate seperate .qvws for each database!

Not applicable
Author

thanks for your reply. Let me try with my application and get back to you if i find any problem.

-Raghu.

Not applicable
Author

but it requires a reload after every selection. right?