Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

ETL possibilities

Hi,

I have a csv file that is automatically been filled by an application. The csv file has a fixed size. That means that if the file is full, the oldest data is overwritten. The data of that file needs to be stored in a SQL Server Express Database. So no possibility to use SSIS.

My question is, is it possible to this with Qlikview? If yes, can you create a job for it, like in SQL Server? I have read something about macro's, but don't know if it is possible.

Thanks

Kevin

5 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Hi Kevin,

You can create a QlikView document that loads the CSV file, connects to the SQL Server Express DB and does an SQL Insert into a table.

By default, database connections are opened in read-only mode but there's a checkbox you can check at the bottom of the script editor (last tab).

This .qvw file can then be scheduled like any other task.

It's by no means a unique QlikView capability though and the insert can be performed from an array of applications.

Not applicable
Author

Hi,

Ok, I will give it a try.

Thanks

rbecher
MVP
MVP

Hi Kevin,

you could use a free ETL tool like Pentaho Kettle to do this load and transformation into SQL Server. An SQL INSERT in QlikView script is possible but this can be done only record-wise in a loop adn you will get no response if it's succeeded.

- Ralf

Astrato.io Head of R&D
Not applicable
Author

Hi,

Ok, this means that it is better to use another tool to do the ETL processing than  QV?

Or are there other opinions?

- Kevin

rbecher
MVP
MVP

As long as you only pull and transform data into QlikView it is very powerful.

- Ralf

Astrato.io Head of R&D