Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
datanibbler
Champion
Champion

Exact working of JOIN in QlikView script?

Hi,

this is seemingly a very simple question, and more related to SQL syntax than to QlikView in particular, but the results in my current document confuse me a bit: What is the exact working of a JOIN implemented in a QlikView script?

When I specify, before a load_statement, a LEFT JOIN(

and specify, in brackets, the table that I want to join to, that should return the same nr. of records that I had in the table specified in brackets, shouldn't it?

Thanks a lot for clarifying!

Best regards,

DataNibbler

12 Replies
calvindk
Creator III
Creator III

And here is a good link explaining the join, keep and concatenate options you have:

http://community.qlik.com/thread/39177

datanibbler
Champion
Champion
Author

Hi Anders,

okay, I will just believe that the associations work correctly - I couldn't quite believe anything different anyway, it would be too big an issue not to have been noticed and addressed 😉

I basically know how the JOIN works - I did NOT know  that detail that swuehl wrote though it is obvious - now 😉

Also, there is not the slightest hint in that book "QlikView 11 for Developers", which only shows a relatively simple example to demonstrate how the JOIN types work and does in no way deal with the possible complications.

I will mark this as "solved" then.

Best regards,

DataNibbler

P.S.: That link you posted is good - but it does not address that issue of the LEFT JOIN with a non-unique key in table_2, either.

richard_simpson
Partner - Contributor III
Partner - Contributor III

Hi Nibbler

This looks like an old post but not answered yet?

If you are trying to do a join but the "joining" table has multiple values that match... you can still do it but you have to instruct QlikView what to do for each field.

e.g. Sum the multiple values, Avg them? Or, if you know that there are lots of records but the value in the field is always the same, you can use Only(xxx).

Hope that helps?