Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Experience with Splunk ODBC connector and QlikView / Direct Discovery

Hi - I am working with a client that wants to integrate QlikView on top of SPlunk. Splunk has released an ODBC connector. The Splunk documentation only sites Excel or Tableau. I would think the the ODBC connector would work with any tool, including QlikView and we could also use the Direct Discovery functionality against the SPlunk data. Does anyone have any experience with Splunk/QlikView and more specifically the Splunk ODBC connector. Thanks in advance.

4 Replies
rbecher
MVP
MVP

Hi Jim,

I would just try it...

Best regards,

Ralf

Astrato.io Head of R&D
Not applicable
Author

Hi,

I am getting a few questions about this from the market place and a few partners. Using the standard ODBC driver from Splunk errors out.

Can anyone vouch for a working solution yet?....Capture.JPG.jpg

Not applicable
Author

Hi Kevin, Jim

Were you able to get it working. I was going to try QlikView with Splunk and I'm interested to hear from your experience.

Not applicable
Author

The "Select..." wizard in QlikView will not work with the Splunk ODBC driver. The Splunk ODBC driver officially only supports Microsoft Excel and Tabeau. There is a work around though and assumes you have configured your Splunk ODBC driver in Windows and created a successful connection in QlikView. Give this a try:

1. Open a new workbook in Excel.
  2. Click on the Data tab
  3. Choose From Other Sources > "From Microsoft Query"
  4. From the "Choose Data Source" dialog, select your Splunk ODBC connection.
  5. Once connected, you'll be presented with all the saved reports to which you have access on the left hand side of the Query Wizard.
    SplunkQueryWiz.PNG.png
  6. Select the report you want to include in QlikView and click "Next >"
  7. If you don't want to perform any sorts or limits, click through to "Finish"
  8. Choose "View data or edit query in Microsoft Query" and click "Finish"
  9. Microsoft Query will eventually return with the data from your report.
  10. Chose SQL... from the View menu or click the SQL icon in the toolbar.
  11. You'll be presented with the SQL Statement Excel is using to return your data from Splunk
    SplunkSQL.PNG.png
  12. Copy the text from this window into your QlikView script.
  13. Save your script and Reload.