Qlik Community

QlikView Scripting

Discussion Board for collaboration on QlikView Scripting.

Announcements

Breathe easy -- you now have more time to plan your next steps with Qlik!
QlikView 11.2 Extended Support is now valid through December 31, 2020. Click here for more information.

Not applicable

Field Length Question

I am not sure if there is a way but I want to find the length of fields in my QVD file.  In the file there are many different fields but I will pick one:  Description.  Is there a way to determine the maximum length of that field.  I know there is a $field command and a data profiler out there.  The data profiler seems to calculate the maximum length based on actual data in the field.  This could vary from one account to the next.  What I mean is this:

Client one:

Description = This is a test.

Client two = This is the second day of the week.

The length is different.  I am looking at the finding the length of the field with no data.  If this is not possible that is alright.

Thanks

David

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MVP
MVP

Re: Field Length Question

Hi

Simply put this expression in a list box:

=Max(Len(Description))

HTH

Jonathan

Logic will get you from a to b. Imagination will take you everywhere. - A Einstein
9 Replies
israrkhan
Valued Contributor II

if i understood your requirement.

you can try len() function. like below

it will return yoy, Length of string s. The result is an integer

len(Discription) where Discription = 'Test Discription'.  it will returns 16.

Kind Regards

Khan

MVP & Luminary
MVP & Luminary

Hi David,

Try like this

LOAD

Len(Description) AS DescriptionLength

FROM DataSource;

Now in front end create a text object and use this expression to find maximum length of a field value

=Max(DescriptionLength)

Regards,

jagan.

MVP
MVP

Hi

Simply put this expression in a list box:

=Max(Len(Description))

HTH

Jonathan

Logic will get you from a to b. Imagination will take you everywhere. - A Einstein
Not applicable

Thanks all for your suggestion.  I did not explain in clearly.  I dont need the max length looking at the actual data in the field.  What I was looking for is a way to determine what the max amount of data that can be stored in a given field.  Like Description I think the max amount of data is 500 characters but I am not sure.  If this is not possible in Qlikview no big deal.  Again thanks for your help.

David

I have never come across a limit to the number of characters that can stored in a text field.

I reckon though that if one stores loads of rows of fields, that contain very long text fields [especially if they are all unique descriptions] then first threshold to cause issues would be performance.

michael_gardner
Contributor III

Agreed, I think you will encounter performance issues before you ever hit the QV limits due to todays current hardware limitations.

Not applicable

I believe, there is no length constraints for string field values in Qlikview.

Not applicable

Thanks all for the help.  I will need to go back to my development team to get the answer I am looking for.  I am not saying there is a limit on the length of the field.  What I was saying is I have a field in a QVD File called Description.  I want to find the maximum number of characters that field can hold.  In other words our development team has set the limit of the various fields in my data set.  I was trying to find a work around to determine what those lengths are without going to them.  No worries guys. 

arieidel
Contributor II

Hello David,

Have you solved this issue? I'm dealing with the same thing: I'm analyzing a Survey result and some users gave quite a bit long answers. I think a field limit is about 500 characters. Could you find a way to extend that?

Thanks,

Ariel