Qlik Community

QlikView Scripting

Discussion Board for collaboration on QlikView Scripting.

Announcements
QlikView Fans! We’d love to hear from you.
Share your QlikView feedback with the product team… Click here to participate in our 5-minute survey.
Rules, plus terms and conditions, can be found here.
Not applicable

How do I avoid loops in my design please?

I have an existing database I need to pull into Qlikview.  I have the following structure (simplified - detailed table viewer export attached):

Consumers

Consumer_ID

Policies

ConsumerID

PolicyWarpolrev (ID)

PolicyClaims

Claim_Number

PolicyWarpolrev (ID)

Non-PolicyClaims (GHSClaim)

Claim_Number

Consumer_ID

Claim Actions

Claim_Number

This structure creates a loop that Qlikview doesn't like - Claims are linked to Consumers both directly and via Policies.  I need to be able to report on counts of claim actions for policy and non-policy claims together, so I can't just create completely separarate Policyclaimnumber and Nonpolicyclaimnumber structures.  How can I get around this problem?  Thanks for any help you can give.

Tags (2)
2 Replies
MVP
MVP

Re: How do I avoid loops in my design please?

Hi

I would consolidate the consumer claims and policy linked claims into a single table. There would three fields in the table:

Consumer_ID, PolicyWarpolrev (ID) and Claim_Number.

For policy linked claims, all three fields would be populated, for direct consumer linked claims, the PolicyWarpolrev field would be null.

I don't know the structure of your input data sources, so I can only give the skeleton of a load script which you will have to adapt to your data. It would look something like:

DataTable:

LOAD consumer_id,

claim_number

... other fields ...

FROM direct claims data source;

Concatenate (DataTable)

LOAD consumer_id,

policy_warpolrev

... other fields ...

FROM policy data source;

Join (DataTable)

LOAD policy_warpolrev,

claim_number

... other fields ...

FROM policy claims data source;

Join (DataTable)

LOAD consumer_id,

... consumer data fields ...

FROM consumer masterdata source;

Load the rest of your data normally. The last join may not be necessary, but may improve performance if you have a large data set.

Hope that helps

Jonathan

Logic will get you from a to b. Imagination will take you everywhere. - A Einstein
sukydhak
New Contributor III

How do I avoid loops in my design please?

You have two options

1 Concatenate all the data into one table

or

2. Link Tables.

Suky

Community Browser