Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

How do you create a field (& populate it) using a field from a crosstable?

I apologize for the vague header...

I am trying to create a 'Unique Key' table which will be made up of 2 fields. The two fields I am joining are [Negotiator] and [Full Date] (full date is Month and Year spanning May 2015 to December 2017). In short, I want to create a table with every permutation of name and date. I need the unique key because the relationship between name and date becomes many-to-many as I pull in more data points in - example of what I need:

' John May 2015

John June 2015...

... John December 2017

Mike May 2015

Mike June 2015...

... Mike December 2017

Jane May 2015

Jane June 2015...

.... Jane December 2017 '

I tried keeping it simple and just combine the two, something like: Negotiator & [Full Date] as [Unique Key]

... but quickly realized QV cannot recognize the field [Negotiator] as a relatable field; something to do with it being created in the crosstable.

Below is an outline of my query:

CrossTable([Negotiator], Data_QA)
LOAD Date as [Full Date],
[John Doe],
[Mike Doe],
[Jane Doe]

- (there are about 40 names) -

Hope this is enough information to understand the issue. Any guidance / suggestions on how to create this joined unique key field?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RadovanOresky
Partner Ambassador
Partner Ambassador

Hi Schyler,

I looked at the sample data and here's what I would do:

t_QA:

crosstable ("Full Date", Data_QA, 1) load *

FROM [lib://Downloads/Sample Data.xlsx]

(ooxml, embedded labels, table is QA);

QA:

noconcatenate load

Negotiator &''& "Full Date" as %Link_key,

Data_QA

resident t_QA;

LinkTable:

noconcatenate load distinct

Negotiator,

"Full Date"

resident t_QA;

drop table t_QA ;

You should get something like this:

Capture.PNG

Do the same for the "MA_Table", but use Concatenate or Join to add the records from MA table to the LinkTable.

concatenate (LinkTable) load distinct

Negotiator,

"Full Date"

resident t_MA;

This is basically how to construct a LinkTable data structure. But, I'm not that sure if you really need it. I think that you could just concatenate the QA and MA tables (after you did the intitial CrossTable load) into one fact table.

Anyway, hope this helps.

Radovan

View solution in original post

11 Replies
pradosh_thakur
Master II
Master II

can you provide a screenshot of table viewer? for this table may be

Learning never stops.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Yes I can. Although, not sure if it'll help much being the links are many-to-many currently.

Capture.PNG

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

In a different direction ...

Instead of creating the Unique Key variable in Qlikview do you think it makes sense to create the Unique Key table in excel with all possible permutations of Negotiator and Full Date first. Then loading in both Data_QA and Data_MA from their respective tables WHERE Negotiator & Full Date = [Unique Key]. I guess I would still run into the issue of having to pull either Negotiator or Full Date from the a crosstable, which QV can't do.

Here is a screenshot of an excel sheet outlining the thought...

Thanks for the help as well.

pradosh_thakur
Master II
Master II

Hi Schyler

first of all we can do that in qlikview . can you post the excel with just a few line of dummy data or raw data and how you want to see it .I am sure we will be able to help you . If i ask you to do things without understanding that data and structure it will be a shot in the dark

Learning never stops.
RadovanOresky
Partner Ambassador
Partner Ambassador

Hi Schyler,

I believe you need to create a Link table by joining all possible Negotiators with all possible Dates. Something like this:

LinkTable:

load distinct Negotiator resident QA_Twist; // or any table that has a list of all Negotiators

join (LinkTable) load distinct [Date Key];

Then you can create a composite key, like you mentioned, e.g. Negotiator & [Full Date] as [Link Key]. You will have to create it in this new Link table as well as in any other tables you wish to associate.

You will have to re-load the table, which was created by CrossTable statement, in order to create a composite key in it. Something like:

noconcatenate load

Negotiator & [Full Date] as [Link Key],

Data_QA

resident QA_Twist;

drop table QA_Twist;

Hope these suggestions will help.

Radovan

RadovanOresky
Partner Ambassador
Partner Ambassador

Sorry, made a small mistake in the Link table script.

LinkTable:

load distinct Negotiator resident QA_Twist; // or any table that has a list of all Negotiators

join (LinkTable) load distinct [Full Date] resident [Date Key];

Radovan

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

I will attach a doc with my sample Department Key, Date Key, QA (Original), QA_Twist, MA Table, and MA_Twist.

Really the main issue is that I cannot figure out how to call on the field that is created in a cross table. If I use the data from QA that is the data field. If QA_Twist that is the Negotiator field, and similarly for MA & MA_Twist.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Here is my sample data..

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

This helps me understand, thank you! Although, I still run into the issue of pulling a loaded field from a cross table.

I agree, it is necessary to create the LinkTable in order to get all possible combinations of name and date.

In this case, it is the field Negotiator that will not pull from QA_Twist.

Any thoughts?

Also see that attached sample data on an above comment to see my data format.