cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jcarpenter9
Partner - Creator
Partner - Creator

How to FTP from z/OS mainframe?

I need the load script to read a text file via the FTP server on a mainframe running z/OS. I can connect to the server using the wizard and see files in the server's directory tree, but I need to retrieve a file from the MVS file system, not the FTP (Unix?) file system, if I'm explaining this correctly.

I adapted the script wizard's code thus, but it errors out saying "Cannot open file":

LOAD @1

FROM

[ftp://MyUserId:MyPassword@unummvs3.unum.com/MyPassword@unummvs3.unum.com/"'TEST.USRA.OMIS.CALLCNT.PRN'"]

(txt, codepage is 1252, embedded labels, delimiter is ',', msq);

I have confirmed that the FTP server is working by successfully using a SAS program to read an MVS file from it. Unfortunately the SAS syntax is very different from QlikView's. Does anyone have suggestions for this?

James

1 Reply
rwunderlich
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Ran across this old thread in a search. The answer is you have to use a special directory name that indicates an MVS file vs Unix (the default) file. The name is set by your sysprog in the FTP server profile. The keyword is "MVSURLKEY". For example, if the value is set as follows:

MVSURLKEY MVSDS

ftp://MyUserId:MyPassword@unummvs3.unum.com/MyPassword@unummvs3.unum.com/MVSDS/'TEST.USRA.OMIS.CALLC...

-Rob

http://robwunderlich.com