Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

How to create user bookmark inside expression

I am trying to create a bookmark for each user within a trigger.

I've used the Create Bookmark action, which works well, but I want each user to have their own bookmark. Using the Create Bookmark trigger creates a document bookmark meaning it can be viewed/used by all users viewing the document.

Is there a way to create a User-specific bookmark within an action? Using perhaps a Macro or something?

Thanks.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Not applicable
Author

Hi Geroge, use the OSUSER() function in the BookMark name. So it will create the Bookmark for each user who access the report.

View solution in original post

6 Replies
Not applicable
Author

Not sure what is the goal you want to reach with this User Bookmark. Can you give more information what this bookmark should be used for?

Not applicable
Author

Sure, I want to have selections that are tab-specific. Going something like this:

- When I leave a sheet, a new bookmark with those selections is created.

- All selections are cleared.

- When I enter a sheet, the bookmark that was created is applied.

Which works nicely, but if multiple users are switching tabs at once, then multiple 'latest' bookmarks will be created and will conflict with each other. This is why I need the bookmarks to be user-bookmarks and not document-bookmarks.

Not applicable
Author

So it should remember different states on different Tabs. Maybe the Alternate State is a better Solution for this. Define different States for each sheet and you don't have to clear / reset it all time and store hundreds off bookmarks.

Not applicable
Author

I was under the impression States were document-wide? So I wouldn't be able to apply states to individual tabs?

Also, I was going to be using the Replace Bookmark action to get around creating multiple bookmarks.

Not applicable
Author

Hi Geroge, use the OSUSER() function in the BookMark name. So it will create the Bookmark for each user who access the report.

Not applicable
Author

Brilliant. That's exactly what I need, Thanks.