Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

How to do this kind of Section Access???

Hi All,

I have a requirement in which, based on certain values in a field, certain other fields should be omitted for those field values alone.

Following data set and explanation may give you a clear picture.

NTNAME
PRODUCTGROSS MARIGINSALESVOLUME
ALWINAAA101
ALWINZZZ011
JERRYAAA111
JERRYZZZ000
TOMAAA110
TOMZZZ001
MESSIAAA100
MESSIZZZ111
RONALDOAAA001
RONALDOZZZ001

The above data set has a few Usernames(NTNAME) and corresponding Product access details. For example user ALWIN now should have access to Gross Marigin and Volume data for Product AAA and Sales and Volume for Product ZZZ and so on....

Here I would like to mention(though it is obvious) that the field Product is available at the main data that the application uses too.

Initially my client did not have this Product field, so I just had OMIT field in section access and restricted those fields from the application, but with the introduction of this Product field that is not possible.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Br,

Prasanna.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
rrsrini2907
Creator
Creator

Hi Prasanna,

We had such kind of requirement where some are interested in only Purchase Order Quantity for particular Division and where as another want to see the Request Quantity for the same division.

How we handled is denormalized the fact table and we had transaction type field and it has Purchase and Request as value in it.

Now we placed section access for the transaction type. So the filter is applied for the person when he log in.

Regards,

Srini.

View solution in original post

6 Replies
Not applicable
Author

Hi All,

Kindly comment on also the feasibility of the above requirement.

Thanks.

Br,

Prasanna.

Not applicable
Author

Hi Prasanna,

This is a very interesting requirement. I dont think its possible with section access/application to control field access since they are only for data filteration. But its definetly possible to do.

I assume that only one product is selected at all times (If more than one is possible, you need to explain if to show/hide Gross margin field when both are selected). Secondly I also assume that Gross Margin, Sales, Volume are field names in the document on which metrics are created. With this I can propose a solution for your problem. Create variables like vGrsMrgnDisp = Only([Gross Margin]), one each for your metric. In the document where ever gross margin is there, replace the field with if(vGrsMrgnDisp=1,GrossMargin). It can be easily done using expression overview (CTRL+ALT+E), find and replace.

I know this is not a direct way but is a sure possiblity.

Hope this helps,

Kiran.

Not applicable
Author

Hi Kiran,

First of all thanks for your time and comments.

You are spot on with your second assumption. Gross Margin, Sales, Volume are, fields in the application.

I'm afraid that, your first assumptoin is wrong. But that is 'cause I didnt explaing correctly I guess. There can be multiple product for a single user and none are selected initially. The table above says the following.

Lets take the case of user JERRY. In this particular case the user has access to all the gross marign, sales and volume for product aaa, while has no access to any of the fields for product zzz. That is when the user JERRY logs in the gross marigin, volume and sales charts should be plotted for values correspoding to only aaa, without any selections and so it goes for alll the users.

But I'll try the way you said with the variables and let you know.

Br,

Prasanna.

Not applicable
Author

Hi Kiran,

I have managed to do it with help of wat you said...but if the user creates his/her own objects there is no way for me to prevent the data...

Do you have any idea on how to do this.

Awaiting reply

Br,

Prasanna

rrsrini2907
Creator
Creator

Hi Prasanna,

We had such kind of requirement where some are interested in only Purchase Order Quantity for particular Division and where as another want to see the Request Quantity for the same division.

How we handled is denormalized the fact table and we had transaction type field and it has Purchase and Request as value in it.

Now we placed section access for the transaction type. So the filter is applied for the person when he log in.

Regards,

Srini.

Not applicable
Author

Hi Srini,

Thanks for the help. I was able to do it, by following your method.

Br,

Prasanna.