Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
datanibbler
Champion
Champion

How to drop variables from a qvw?

Hi,

I have a pretty complicated code to find out the valid cost_center for every employee for every single day from his/her join_date to (his/her leaving_date or today).

The code works for one single employee, I have thoroughly tested it on a few quite difficult scenarios and it was correct all the way.

Now I've made this into a subroutine and built a FOR...NEXT loop over the employees and call this subroutine once per line (Í pass the line_nr to the subroutine, not the emp_ID, I think that simple consecutive numbers are easiest for QlikView and thus fastest)

=> The code runs error-free through all lines of the employee_list.`

The only remaining problem - I hope it's the only one remaining - is: The loops goes like

FOR i = 1 TO NoOfRows('Tablename')

CALL ...

NEXT

At the end of this, I just wanted to have a look at my counter i to see if it had the right value and I saw just that nr. of variables there - one variable labeled '1', one labeled '2' and so on all the way through to 1.000+

Is there some way I can drop those along the way?

Thanks a lot!

Best regards,

DataNibbler

P.S.: I create several variables in every run of the subroutine, with both SET and LET

8 Replies
datanibbler
Champion
Champion
Author

I have an idea:

- The variables really have the same name and value - the variable labeled '1' has the value 1, the one labeled '2' has the value 2 and so on.

=> I suppose this is the line_ID that I pass to the subroutine:

- This is actually my counter i that I use in the loop

- I call the sub like >>> CALL Kostenstellenroutine ($(i)) <<<

=> The sub itself begins like >>> sub Kostenstellenroutine (v_lineID) <<<

=> The counter i is thus passed to the sub labeled v_lineID.

=> I suppose, but unfortunately I cannot check, that this variable that is left over with every single call of the sub is just this counter.

In another thread on a similar issue, I found that >>> LET [var] = NULL(); <<< could be used <=> I cannot do that because I cannot use the semicolon or my LOOP will stop right there.

I guess, though, that those variables cost me very little in terms of performance, so I can just build a second LOOP and delete them all?

P.S.: No, obviously it was not that - that second LOOP seemingly did not even execute.

Not applicable

First of all, is it necessary to create lot of variables in the For Loop ?

In loop, we create one variable and change that Variable value in every loop execution.

The another way, just Let vName = ; at end of loop execution its automatically de-allocate the variable.

datanibbler
Champion
Champion
Author

Hi datu.qv,

no, it is surely not necessary - the problem is, all of these variables just have a number as label - I cannot tell at which point in the code they are actually generated.

I will have another look at the SET and LET commands in the code - I believe there are several.

Thanks a lot!

Best regards,

DataNibbler

datanibbler
Champion
Champion
Author

Hi dathu.qv,

I looked through my code and though there are a few variables inside the subroutine, those are updated with every calling of the subroutine.

=> It looks very much like those variables are something to do with my counter.

I post the code of my loop here, there's nothing much to it:

// Here I load a list of the emps we have RESIDENT from the base_load - a step that might be skipped...

Mitarbeiterliste:

LOAD

GPEline
RESIDENT MA_Grunddaten2
;

// this variable is also just for my own information and not relevant to the functioning of the code.
LET v_emps = NoOfRows('Mitarbeiterliste');

FOR i = 1 TO NoOfRows('Mitarbeiterliste')

CALL Kostenstellenroutine ($(i))
next

Now, that counter i takes on the values from 1 to, say, 1000 - and I have just the same nr. of variables created.

Can you tell me what's wrong there?`

Thanks a lot!

Best regards,

DataNibbler

jonathandienst
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

Hi

This is a problem I saw discussed recently. You need to wrap the parameter in () to convert it to an expression.

CALL Kostenstellenroutine (($(i)))

or

CALL Kostenstellenroutine ((i))

(This appears to be a bug in 11.0 or 11.2)

HTH

Jonathan

Logic will get you from a to b. Imagination will take you everywhere. - A Einstein
swuehl
MVP
MVP

Yes, here is a link to a recent discussion.

[11.2 SR4] Why Sleep function creates a variable ?

datanibbler
Champion
Champion
Author

Hi Jonathan,

I had it with that $-sign-expansion as >>> $(i) <<< (I had understood, from "QlikView 11 for Developers" that you should just ALWAYS use it (necessary or not) just to keep things in sync.

I will now try the other variant.

Thanks a lot!

Best regards,

DataNibbler

datanibbler
Champion
Champion
Author

Hi swuehl,

thanks! I looked into it. But - does anyone from QlikTech look at those threads`(same as with the ideas_section)`?

@ Jonathan

Thanks! It works. I just tried with just the first 10 records so it wouldn't run so long and no variables were created.

Thanks a lot!

Best regards,

DataNibbler