Announcements
Qlik Connect 2024! Seize endless possibilities! LEARN MORE
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

How to have an Admin/Super User in Section Access

I have a Section Access in my Qlikview dashboard, with an ADMIN and some USERS. Now, the way I have designed Section Access is to have an additional field called as EMPLOYEEID, which maps to my data model and shows data only for that particular employee. Assume, I have total of 100 employees

I do not want all EMPLOYEEs to access the dashboard, thats why I have added only 5 USERS with different EMPLOYEEID in my Section Access file. Now, I want ADMIN to access data for all 100 Employees and not only the 5 Employees that are mentioned in the section access file. If I put * for Admin, I see data only for 5 Employees. What options do I have that will allow ADMIN to see data for all 100 employees, while not having all 100 rows in my Section Access table.

ACCESSUSERIDPASSWORDEMPLOYEEID
ADMINADMINADMIN*
USERXXXXXX1
USERXXXXXX2
USERXXXXXX3
USERXXXXXX4
USERXXXXXX5

The above shows only data for EmployeedID 1,2,3,4,5 when I login as Administrator. This is not what I want.

I hope I have been able to explain the problem clearly.

Thanks,

Sagar

7 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Add a line just after the Section Application; to declare the wildcard, as follows:

Star is *;

Jonathan

Not applicable
Author

Jonathan, thanks but I tried that and it doesnt work...the reason probably is this:

A wildcard, i. e. *, is interpreted as all (listed) values of this field, i.e. a value listed elsewhere in this table.

I copied this from the QV Help.

Any other thing that I can try?

Not applicable
Author

Hi,

Instead of using EMPLOYEEID in your section access, you just use a field like EMPLOYEEGRP. After this, in your section application, assign a EMPLOYEEGRP to your each EMPLOYEEID.

Apartfrom this, your approach put * for ADMIN is correct.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Sagar,

Remove this *, leave it blank.

Regards,

Michael

Not applicable
Author

Mike, blank is not recognized in the AJAX client...tried that option as well..

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

I don't understand that.  Reload process itself is not related to client in any way.

In general, your problem is quite typical, and you correctly mentioned that "*, is interpreted as all (listed) values of this field".  It is always resolved by blank value, like this:
LOAD * INLINE [

ACCESS,          USERID,          PASSWORD,          FIELD

ADMIN,              ADMIN,          ADMIN,

USER,               USER,             USER,                    VALUE

];

Not applicable
Author

Venu, in that case I will have to modify my database table to include a field like EMPLOYEEGRP, because only then will the section access be able to map it to the database...i am not looking to edit my database structure...