Qlik Community

QlikView Scripting

Discussion Board for collaboration on QlikView Scripting.

Announcements

Breathe easy -- you now have more time to plan your next steps with Qlik!
QlikView 11.2 Extended Support is now valid through December 31, 2020. Click here for more information.

Not applicable

How to have an Admin/Super User in Section Access

I have a Section Access in my Qlikview dashboard, with an ADMIN and some USERS. Now, the way I have designed Section Access is to have an additional field called as EMPLOYEEID, which maps to my data model and shows data only for that particular employee. Assume, I have total of 100 employees

I do not want all EMPLOYEEs to access the dashboard, thats why I have added only 5 USERS with different EMPLOYEEID in my Section Access file. Now, I want ADMIN to access data for all 100 Employees and not only the 5 Employees that are mentioned in the section access file. If I put * for Admin, I see data only for 5 Employees. What options do I have that will allow ADMIN to see data for all 100 employees, while not having all 100 rows in my Section Access table.

ACCESSUSERIDPASSWORDEMPLOYEEID
ADMINADMINADMIN*
USERXXXXXX1
USERXXXXXX2
USERXXXXXX3
USERXXXXXX4
USERXXXXXX5

The above shows only data for EmployeedID 1,2,3,4,5 when I login as Administrator. This is not what I want.

I hope I have been able to explain the problem clearly.

Thanks,

Sagar

7 Replies
jonbrough
Valued Contributor

Re: How to have an Admin/Super User in Section Access

Add a line just after the Section Application; to declare the wildcard, as follows:

Star is *;

Jonathan

Not applicable

Jonathan, thanks but I tried that and it doesnt work...the reason probably is this:

A wildcard, i. e. *, is interpreted as all (listed) values of this field, i.e. a value listed elsewhere in this table.

I copied this from the QV Help.

Any other thing that I can try?

Not applicable

Hi,

Instead of using EMPLOYEEID in your section access, you just use a field like EMPLOYEEGRP. After this, in your section application, assign a EMPLOYEEGRP to your each EMPLOYEEID.

Apartfrom this, your approach put * for ADMIN is correct.

mov
Esteemed Contributor III

Sagar,

Remove this *, leave it blank.

Regards,

Michael

Not applicable

Mike, blank is not recognized in the AJAX client...tried that option as well..

mov
Esteemed Contributor III

I don't understand that.  Reload process itself is not related to client in any way.

In general, your problem is quite typical, and you correctly mentioned that "*, is interpreted as all (listed) values of this field".  It is always resolved by blank value, like this:
LOAD * INLINE [

ACCESS,          USERID,          PASSWORD,          FIELD

ADMIN,              ADMIN,          ADMIN,

USER,               USER,             USER,                    VALUE

];

Not applicable

Venu, in that case I will have to modify my database table to include a field like EMPLOYEEGRP, because only then will the section access be able to map it to the database...i am not looking to edit my database structure...