Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Identify Sheet Names from Audit Logs

Hi Folks

I have a sheet and document usage tool that uses the Audit Logs on the server to look at which sheets in which documents are being used and by how much, the problem is that the Audit Log files contain just the Document Name and Sheet ID, but not the sheet title.  Currently I have an excel file that sits alongside the document and this file contains the combination of document name and sheet id to join to a sheet name.

I'm wondering though if there is a process I can put in place that would on perhaps a weekly basis export a document definition xml file, because this does include the information I need and I could then read it and convert it to a qvd.

Any ideas?

Nigel.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Not applicable
Author

Hope it isn't too late to bump..

You can load the corresponding qvw file in the script as a table using xml format. In the script a table will be created named 'Sheet' for the sheets, as well as other tables for sheetobjects, expressions, dimensions, and a lot more other stuff.

In these tables you have the ID's and titles/names, then just map away. Hope this helps!

View solution in original post

5 Replies
Not applicable
Author

I have the same question - anyone have an idea beyond manually creating an excel file?

Gysbert_Wassenaar

Give your sheets meaningful ID's. You're free to change them, so you might as well give them a value that conveys more information than SH0x.

talk is cheap, supply exceeds demand
Not applicable
Author

That's a good suggestion for Sheet Names Gysbert, a bit impractical for objects and bookmarks though. Back to what Nigel said it would be great if there was a way you could automate a process to export definitions via XML file.

As of now the options I know of are to create the XML file manually, or to export structure into an excel and load it back in the Audit Log/User Stats application

Not applicable
Author

Hope it isn't too late to bump..

You can load the corresponding qvw file in the script as a table using xml format. In the script a table will be created named 'Sheet' for the sheets, as well as other tables for sheetobjects, expressions, dimensions, and a lot more other stuff.

In these tables you have the ID's and titles/names, then just map away. Hope this helps!

Not applicable
Author

Hi Patrick

It's never too late, thanks very much for jumping onto this one.

I never realised you could do this, but that is the perfect answer!

Thanks again.