Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

It's possible block function ODBC Select or Connect in Qlikview Desktop

Hey Guys. It's possible block or disable ODBC Select or Connect function in Qlikview Desktop. Thanks a lot.

4 Replies
kaushiknsolanki
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Hi

No its not possible until i know. Cause that is designed in wizard only.

Can you describe why you want to disable it

Regards,

Kaushik Solanki

Please remember to hit the 'Like' button and for helpful answers and resolutions, click on the 'Accept As Solution' button. Cheers!
Oleg_Troyansky
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

There is no way (that I'm aware of) to disable database functions in the script. If you need to protect your databases from unauthorized use, you should define it in the database security rather then in QlikView...

Not applicable
Author

Thanks for your answer. I Have a ODBC Database create with a user what can see all tables and that user is stored in the same ODBC. the idea is block this ODBC no delete just block in Qlikview, because this ODBC is used in other programs.

It's possible???

Thanks.

Not applicable
Author

When I read your questions, I think you are asking how to restrict the connection to the database to read only.

There are two ways, basically.

First, you can use the same user you have set up now.  While the user permissions are full, you may change the ODBC connection string to restrict to READ ONLY.

See:

DBPROP_INIT_MODE

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms722656%28v=vs.85%29.aspx

If you use the QlikView wizard to connect via ODBC, that will give you the basic connection string, modify as you like to restrict to read only.

Second, you could create a new database user which is read-only and specific to the application, in this case QlikView.  After you do that, use those new credentials to read data into QlikView.

The second way is standard practice in most organizations, because it gives the DBAs good information about which machine/process is accessing data, when and how.

Hope that helps.

Sam