Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Join two tables by comparing dates

Hi guys,

I have two unrelated tables which i would like to join. Basically the primary table contains 'Interest_Charged' to a client. It has the following fields: Client_ID, Interest_amt and date. The second table has similiar fields for 'Brokerage_Charged' to a client with the following fields: Client_ID, Brokerage_amt, date and trader_ID. Please note that the primary table doesnt have a trader_ID

The two tables have no correlation with the other but i would like to assign a relevent trader_ID based on the dates. Basically I would like to join a trader_ID (from the Second table into the primary) by comparing the dates field of the two tables. So for a data set where Interest_charged.Client_ID = Brokerage_Charged.Client_ID I would like to find the relevant trader_ID where the date value of the two tables are the closest or minimum.

Can any one help me?

Regards

Faisal 

2 Replies
Not applicable
Author

Date field are the same? what if data from primary table will not exists in secondary

lets start with attached qvw...

Not applicable
Author

The date fields might not be the same. However Client_ID will be the same, so you will find the same client_ID in the brokerage table and interest table. Essentially i want to find the trader_ID in the brokerage table where Interest.Client_ID = Brokerage.Client_ID and Brokerage.date <= Interest.date but the row with the closest date should be joined .

I have edited your xlsx fileto decipt the scenario

Regards

Faisal