Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DylanJones
Contributor
Contributor

Keep Leading Zeros when loading from Proc in SQL instead of reading from table

Hi,

My issue is very similar to another post about leading zeros. I have hundreds of different item codes (some with trailing zeros) and QV is combining them due to the trailing zeros. 

I've seen this post:

https://community.qlik.com/t5/QlikView-App-Development/Keeping-Leading-Zeros/td-p/883009

which is a very similar issue to what I'm having. The solution here involved using Text() in the loadscript as follows:

LOAD OrderNumber,

Product

Text(Product) as NewProduct

SQL SELECT OrderNumber, Product

FROM <Table>;

One issue with this (as far as I know) is that you are listing all the columns in the table to begin with. The proc I am using has 30+ columns and so doing that for every proc called with the Item Code in it would be cumbersome and time consuming. 

In my script I'm taking my information from a Proc like this:

"ItemMasterFile": 
	SQL 
	EXEC SP_OUTPUT_GEN_ItemMaster			NULL,	
											NULL;

Is there some way to set the column to a Text() type through the proc without having to list every column every time? I also have lots of procs with the Item Codes in them so they need to link.

1 Reply
marcus_sommer

I agree that using a wildcard for loading the fields is very convenient and leads to a clear load-statement but it's not mandatory a best practice approach because changes in the source could cause additional and/or missing fields and might lead to errors and/or wrong results. For the most load-statements you could use a wizard so that there are not really big efforts to create it - and the preceeding part is then just copy & paste + your needed adjustments and applying text() to maybe one or two fields it's not very time-consuming.

Beside this you could use the following approach to define a field as string-field:

Dummy: load text(recno()) as Product autogenerate 1;

YourTable: load *; SQL select * from Source;

drop tables Dummy;

- Marcus