Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Loading QVD

Relatively speaking I am a newbie that only gets to dabble in QlikView in my spare time, so I have a fairly basic question regarding QVD files. 

I have a QVW file that loads its data from a XLS worksheet, and it is configured to automatically refresh once per day.  I am needing to implement incremental loads and would like the data to be stored in a QVD file.  Seems pretty straight-forward; however, I read somewhere that you should load the QVD file separately and then load the data from the QVD file via script within my QVW.

So to support what I am trying to accomplish is the following the correct method for implementing this:

1. Create new QVW that contains script logic to load/incrementally load data into a QVD.

2. Configure this QVW to automatically refresh daily.

3. Modify my existing QVW to no longer load from the XLS file, rather load its data from the QVD.

4. Configure this QVW to automatically refresh daily (after the QVD is refreshed).  Or should this just be set to automatically refreshed each time it is opened.

Thanks!

2 Replies
swuehl
MVP
MVP

Sounds reasonable.

I think a daily refresh of your second QVW should be enough, no need to refresh if there is no change in QVD.

JeffQV
Partner - Contributor II
Partner - Contributor II

That's exactly the approach I would take.

Remember to take care of any data that was modified or deleted (if it's possible for your spreadsheet to have rows changed or rows deleted between refreshes)