Qlik Community

QlikView Scripting

Discussion Board for collaboration on QlikView Scripting.

Highlighted
cloud
New Contributor III

Mode() Function for 1 record

Hi experts,

I want to get the mode for the name for the current month, but for the current month, it has only 1 existing record. This is my expression that displays the name in a textbox in Qlikview:

Mode({<Month ={"$(=vCurrentMonth)"}>} Name)

The result that it shows for that current month is blank ( is it because it's returning NULL?)

Would like it to display the name regardless of whether it has 1 or more records.

Appreciate any help, please type in example instead of putting Qlikview files, thank you.

10 Replies
MVP
MVP

Re: Mode() Function for 1 record

It should not. If more that one value equally occur in the data scope, NULL is returned. For single record, it should return the value itself. Could you share a sample app that reflects the issue?

Partner
Partner

HI 

the problem is not with, the mode function it works for 1 record , it's with your set expression 

if you'll remove the set expression and manually select the current month you'll see you get a result 

cloud
New Contributor III

Hi, I can't upload anything due to security issues, here is a sample example:

NameTypeLocationMonthsReporting
RosieAYYXX3May-19
JohnAXXSS2Apr-19
RosieBAAWW1Apr-19
SallyCFFDD2Apr-19

So my current month in this sample is May, and I want to show "Rosie" in the text box as it is the only record for Mode, using my expression that I've placed above. It's a must to show only the current month. I've used Mode ()with Type with the same expression and for some reason it works fine. Not sure what's wrong.

MVP
MVP

>>Would like it to display the name regardless of whether it has 1 or more records.

Mode is a statistical function, not a text function.  What output do you require?

>>This is my expression that displays the name in a textbox in Qlikview:

Not as far as I can see. Mode will return a number (or a NULL if the input is a text field).

Logic will get you from a to b. Imagination will take you everywhere. - A Einstein
cloud
New Contributor III

I need a text output, and I think Mode() can provide text output as well?
MVP
MVP

No - it cannot (and does not). You will get a null.

Logic will get you from a to b. Imagination will take you everywhere. - A Einstein
cloud
New Contributor III

Link

Referring to this, mode can display text values. 

Partner
Partner

hi 

i does return text , i think the confusion is with mod function 

in your data your problem is the reporting column is not numeric 

attach is a model where i changed it to date 

cloud
New Contributor III

Hi Liron,
Like i've stated at my post, please type example as I can't open any Qlikview files. Thanks.