Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cloud
Contributor III
Contributor III

Mode() Function for 1 record

Hi experts,

I want to get the mode for the name for the current month, but for the current month, it has only 1 existing record. This is my expression that displays the name in a textbox in Qlikview:

Mode({<Month ={"$(=vCurrentMonth)"}>} Name)

The result that it shows for that current month is blank ( is it because it's returning NULL?)

Would like it to display the name regardless of whether it has 1 or more records.

Appreciate any help, please type in example instead of putting Qlikview files, thank you.

Labels (5)
10 Replies
tresesco
MVP
MVP

It should not. If more that one value equally occur in the data scope, NULL is returned. For single record, it should return the value itself. Could you share a sample app that reflects the issue?

lironbaram
Partner - Master III
Partner - Master III

HI 

the problem is not with, the mode function it works for 1 record , it's with your set expression 

if you'll remove the set expression and manually select the current month you'll see you get a result 

cloud
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Hi, I can't upload anything due to security issues, here is a sample example:

NameTypeLocationMonthsReporting
RosieAYYXX3May-19
JohnAXXSS2Apr-19
RosieBAAWW1Apr-19
SallyCFFDD2Apr-19

So my current month in this sample is May, and I want to show "Rosie" in the text box as it is the only record for Mode, using my expression that I've placed above. It's a must to show only the current month. I've used Mode ()with Type with the same expression and for some reason it works fine. Not sure what's wrong.

jonathandienst
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

>>Would like it to display the name regardless of whether it has 1 or more records.

Mode is a statistical function, not a text function.  What output do you require?

>>This is my expression that displays the name in a textbox in Qlikview:

Not as far as I can see. Mode will return a number (or a NULL if the input is a text field).

Logic will get you from a to b. Imagination will take you everywhere. - A Einstein
cloud
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

I need a text output, and I think Mode() can provide text output as well?
jonathandienst
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

No - it cannot (and does not). You will get a null.

Logic will get you from a to b. Imagination will take you everywhere. - A Einstein
cloud
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Link

Referring to this, mode can display text values. 

lironbaram
Partner - Master III
Partner - Master III

hi 

i does return text , i think the confusion is with mod function 

in your data your problem is the reporting column is not numeric 

attach is a model where i changed it to date 

cloud
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Hi Liron,
Like i've stated at my post, please type example as I can't open any Qlikview files. Thanks.