cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
davidstrong
Contributor
Contributor

Need some advice with QVD Creation

Currently my company is partnered with a 3rd party supplier for our ETL, Data Warehouse and has done some custom scripting work on our Load Script. We are facing an issue with a QVW file that creates a set of QVDs (QVD Generator) that our dashboard file reads from. One of the QVD that is getting created is called 'HomeObject.qvd'. We have searched the entire Load Script for the place that this HomeObject.qvd is created or saved and cannot locate it at all. We know it is created when we refresh the QVD Generator, but cannot seem to locate it anywhere.

There is a Hidden Script section, but do not have access to it and have been told that it only contacts a connection string to the 3rd parties data warehouse. We cannot confirm this.

Is there any place else that might be creating this HomeObject.qvd??

Labels (2)
8 Replies
martinpohl
Partner - Master
Partner - Master

create a new qlikview document

go to script mode

select file and select the homeobject.qvd

on the left side change source type from .qvd to .xml

here you can see the creator application.

RegardsScreenshot.JPG

davidstrong
Contributor
Contributor
Author

Sorry, but when I click File, this is what I see

image.png

I am not seeing what you displayed.

rwunderlich
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Open the QVD with QViewer. From the menu, select Metadata, File Metadata. Or press F4.

-Rob

davidstrong
Contributor
Contributor
Author

Thanks, but I am not sure how to read this metadata. This qviewer is some that I have never used before.

rwunderlich
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Sorry, my response should have been more through. QViewer is the indispensable  QVD viewer tool. It's free to try,  It will provide the metadata, which includes the creating qvw, in a nice display like this:

2020-03-09_15-52-14.png

You can also just open the QVD in a text editor and look at the <CreatorDoc>  element. It's the 4th line from the top.

davidstrong
Contributor
Contributor
Author

Thanks Rob,

Sadly this tool still does not help with our specific instance as all QVD get created by the same fileimage.png

Our 3rd Party Supplier has their own hosting platform that we load our QVW files to, trigger refreshes from and view our dashboards through. This supplier has not been all that helpful to us.

rwunderlich
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Are you saying that upload_qvw_dashboard.qvw does not contain script that creates HomeObject.qvd?

-Rob

Brett_Bleess
Former Employee
Former Employee

David, my hunch would be it is in the hidden script and whomever is just telling you it is not, as the only other way it could get created is if some other task tied to that task chain that does this app is running prior to this one...  If you do not have access to the QMC and the tasks, going to be difficult to potentially nail down in that case given Rob's tool did not seem to get you what you need unless you did find things after rechecking after his last post.  If you figured things out, if you can, please post what the issue was and then you can mark that using the Accept as Solution button to close out the thread on this one.  Might be something that someone else might run into down the road.

Regards,
Brett

To help users find verified answers, please do not forget to use the "Accept as Solution" button on any post(s) that helped you resolve your problem or question.
I now work a compressed schedule, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday, so those will be the days I will reply to any follow-up posts.