Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Nested Load Statement - Different Results Depending on KEEP placement

Consider this and where the KEEP statement is. This produces a table with 2.2million rows which "seems" correct.

If however I move the keep statement to the final load statement I get circa 750k rows.

IN the UI this results in slightly different claim_counters.

For the life of me I cannot think why this would be different. As you would expect placing the keep on the first load statement would simply mean that all rows would be dropped from T_CLAIM2 before the calculated fields were derived, whereas placing it last would mean the calculations would simply be done on all rows and then subsequently dropped.

Any ideas?

T_CLAIMS2:

LOAD *,

IF([Actual Date] = 'NA','$(vNaDesc)',IF(LEN([Actual Date])>2,'$(vClaimDesc)',IF(LEN([Measure Date])=0 OR [Measure Date] >=TODAY(),'$(vExpDesc)','$(vOsDesc)'))) AS [Measure Type]

;

LOAD *,

IF(LEN([Actual Date])>=2,[Actual Date],IF(PTYPE = 'IS Delivery' AND (msname = 'pre-production complete' OR msname = 'feasibility study required'),[Forecast Date],[Expected Date])) AS [Measure Date]

;

INNER KEEP(D_PROJECT)

LOAD

msname,

AUTONUMBER(msname,'%_MSID') AS %_MSID,

%_PROJECTID,

%_SITEID,

[Expected Date],

[Forecast Date],

[Actual Date],

PTYPE,

TTYPE,

%_TARGPROGID,

1 AS #_CLAIM_COUNTER

RESIDENT T_CLAIMS;

DROP TABLE T_CLAIMS;

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
hic
Former Employee
Former Employee

The Keep prefix can only be used as a terminal prefix, i.e. it has to operate on the final Load statement.

If inserted between a preceding Load and a following Load, it will be ignored.

HIC

View solution in original post

10 Replies
sunny_talwar

Does the D_PROJECT table have [Measure Type] or [Measure Date] as field? If it does, then the keep will also take place based on whichever of the two or both fields which may cause more rows to drop.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Hi Sunny thanks, I should have mentioned the shared key is %_PROJECTID none of the other fields exist in D_PROJECT so it should only associate on that field.

Maybe worth mentionioning that their is a one to many relationship bettern D_PROJECT and T_CLAIMS. But that shouldn't make any difference in my SQL brain anyway.

sunny_talwar

If that is the case, then it is strange that your are seeing this issue... I would have expected to see same number of rows regardless of where you put the Inner Keep. Also, 1-N shouldn't matter

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

do you use any Qualify Statements?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Nope source qvds are qulaified and we rename the field in the app for appropriate use.

swuehl
MVP
MVP

How many rows do you get for this table if you remove the KEEP completely?

I would assume that you should get a correct result with the KEEP placed in front of the topmost LOAD, and that it is ignored when you put it to the bottom LOAD.

Maybe hic‌ can comment on what is expected here better than anyone of us.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Stefan thanks for the suggestion and the results are interesting. Seems having no Keep produces the same results as the lowest KEEP, so in other words the lowest KEEP is not doing anything.

But what this also tells me is that there are 8 PROJECT_IDSwhich are not shared in both table, i.e when i use the highest KEEP I lose 8 project. However this loss of 8 projects results  in a reduction of 1.5million rows in T_CLAIMS. Which makes even less sence as the ratio between project in D_PROJECT and T_CLAIMS cannot be more than about 1/200. So I would expect to lose no more than 1600 rows from T_CLAIMS.

Still confused I know it doesnt matter if I have erroneous rows but ascitically its horrible having orphaned data.

hic
Former Employee
Former Employee

The Keep prefix can only be used as a terminal prefix, i.e. it has to operate on the final Load statement.

If inserted between a preceding Load and a following Load, it will be ignored.

HIC

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Thanks for confirming. But that still doesnt explain why I am loosing more rows from the fact table in relationship to the  dim table when I apply it in the correct place.

Think I need to back to source and check my expected results.