Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
puifed72
Partner - Contributor
Partner - Contributor

Oracle & SAP

Could someone indicate me, what kind of ODBC or OLE DB driver is better to extract SAP/R3 Tables from Oracle DB, directly?

Thanks

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Ferran_Garcia_Pagans
Former Employee
Former Employee

Federico,

If you go directly thought a ODBC connection you will not be able to read cluster tables and Z fields. You'll have to solve the complexity of the SAP data model, the sap connector would do it for you.

If you use an ODBC you will lose the sap security, if you use the sap connector you will use the sap security model.

I think, if you use an ODBC, probably you need to upgrade the Oracle DB license. Usually, the orcl license distributed by sap is and embedded license and if you want to access directly the db you need a full use license (as long as I know). Please be aware I'm not an expert in orcl licensing.

Finally if you want to access an orcl db I would install the Oracle Client. In this post you will find how to access an Oracle DB.

http://ferrangarciapagans.blogspot.com.es/2012/02/acceder-bases-de-datos-oracle-desde.html

Regards, F.

View solution in original post

6 Replies
ekech_infomotio
Partner - Creator II
Partner - Creator II

personally I would recommend using the Qlikview SAP-Connector. If you connect directly to Oracle you have to make sure, that your Oracle-License permits it. From a technical viewpoint the direct access via the native Oracle OLEDB or ODBC should be possible without problems...

Also you get besides the SQL-Connector a bunch of other useful connectors (especially the Extractor Connector).

regards,

Edgar

suniljain
Master
Master

You require SAP connector to extract data from database of SAP R/3.

puifed72
Partner - Contributor
Partner - Contributor
Author

Sorry Sunil, but It's mandatory to get the SAP/Connector to extract data? I had understood, that you could extract some data with simple OLE DB or ODBC driver. In fact, QlikTech sell the connector as extra and no mandatory, if I'm not wrong or mistaken?

Can you assure this point?

Thanks

puifed72
Partner - Contributor
Partner - Contributor
Author

Sorry Sunil, but It's mandatory to get the SAP/Connector to extract data? I had understood, that you could extract some data with simple OLE DB or ODBC driver. In fact, QlikTech sell the connector as extra and no mandatory, if I'm not wrong or mistaken?

Can you assure this point?

Thanks

Federico Puig

http://www.seidor.es

Tel: +34 93 304 32 22

Fax: +34 93 317 68 18

Móvil: 617421026

Pujades, 350 2ª

Edificio Inbisa 22@

08019 Barcelona

España

Antes de imprimir este mensaje, asegúrese de que sea imprescindible. Proteger el medio ambiente está a nuestro alcance.

La información que contiene este correo electrónico es confidencial y compete exclusivamente al destinatario. Si Vd ha recibido esta comunicación por error, por favor, notifíquelo inmediatamente al remitente y borre el mensaje junto con sus ficheros anexos sin leerlo, copiarlo, grabarlo, distribuirlo o divulgarlo o hacer cualquier otro uso de la información sin el consentimiento de la empresa. El correo electrónico vía Internet no permite asegurar la confidencialidad o correcta recepción de los mensajes, por lo que Seidor no asume responsabilidad alguna por los daños causados.

The information contained in this communication is confidential, may be privileged and is intended for the exclusive use of the above named addressee. If you receive this communication in error, please notify the sender immediately and delete it, and all its attached documents. If you are not the intended recipient, you are expressly prohibited from reading, copying, distributing, disseminating or, in any other way, using any of the information without the company consent. Please note that Internet e-mail guarantees neither the confidentiality nor the proper receipt of the message sent, so that Seidor shall not be liable for any damages caused.

Ferran_Garcia_Pagans
Former Employee
Former Employee

Federico,

If you go directly thought a ODBC connection you will not be able to read cluster tables and Z fields. You'll have to solve the complexity of the SAP data model, the sap connector would do it for you.

If you use an ODBC you will lose the sap security, if you use the sap connector you will use the sap security model.

I think, if you use an ODBC, probably you need to upgrade the Oracle DB license. Usually, the orcl license distributed by sap is and embedded license and if you want to access directly the db you need a full use license (as long as I know). Please be aware I'm not an expert in orcl licensing.

Finally if you want to access an orcl db I would install the Oracle Client. In this post you will find how to access an Oracle DB.

http://ferrangarciapagans.blogspot.com.es/2012/02/acceder-bases-de-datos-oracle-desde.html

Regards, F.

puifed72
Partner - Contributor
Partner - Contributor
Author

Thanks Ferran, I'll try to access to DB following your appreciate instructions; about the cluster tables I know the problem but now only want to achieve a connection against DB.

Thanks again.