Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ingoniclas
Creator II
Creator II

Pulling in .qvs external script with Must_include statement via FTP

Hi there,

I tried to pull in a .qvs file (external script) into QV with a Must_Include statement via FTP:

$(Must_Include=ftp://[USERNAME]:[PASSWORD]@[FT SERVER]/scripts/configuration.qvs);

But it didn't work, and I only get an error message showing the above statement. When I pull in the statement from a local folder it works well. Any ideas what could be wrong?

Thanks,
Ingo

8 Replies
Not applicable

what is the reason trying to connect through ftp?

Just create file share on the source server & create the UNC path. try like below:

$(Must_Include=\\qlikserver\scripts\configuration.qvs);

ingoniclas
Creator II
Creator II
Author

The user uses a single user license (no server), and I don't want to store the qvs file on the user's hard drive.

J_Glock
Contributor
Contributor

Hey @ingoniclas 

I'd like to include some scripts via FTP as well. Did you find any solution?

Thanks,

Julius

ingoniclas
Creator II
Creator II
Author

Nope 😞

marcus_sommer

Could you load the qvs as file? If yes you verified that the path correct is and that the user/password is valide and has the proper reading-rights. If not anything of above mentioned is wrong and/or it might be blocked from any security tool or group policies - for examples the ports are restricted.

Another possibility might be the access mode - see:

Solved: Load from FTP fails in QlikView Server - Qlik Community - 599160

- Marcus

J_Glock
Contributor
Contributor

Hey @marcus_sommer ,

thanks a bunch! It actually worked as long as I use a simple FTP-Server. Unfortunately, We use a FTPS-Server which Qlik cannot connect to. 

Right now, I've got another method: We encrypt QVS-files using a Jscript module and download the encrypted files on our clients' server. There we got a decrypt module so that we can save the decrypted script in a variable. 
That's where a new problem has arisen. Namely, I don't know how to properly execute the decrypted script. 

marcus_sommer

Like above mentioned it may be just a security measure like not available ports which cause the issue. Most companies prohibit everything unless it's specially permitted. Therefore try to check this:

FTPS Ports and FTP Ports - types and differences (cerberusftp.com)

maybe with telnet or similar tools: Telnet - Wikipedia as a starting point.

Beside this I think the encryption/decryption approach goes rather in the wrong direction and creates more problems as it solved. Are you sure that the content is so high confidential that it must be extra encrypted? And if yes, how strong must the encryption be - for just preventing a quick glance on it you may apply a small shift/mix-logic directly in Qlik (of course the experienced guys with too much time could hack it - but are they really a real risk in your scenario?).

- Marcus  

marcus_sommer

Just an addition - within the document properties in tab general is in the top right a setting to enable a passive ftp sematic - maybe it's relevant ...

- Marcus