Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

QVSTEST and Licenses

Hello,

I have a question regarding development, licenses & QV Test.  I would like to begin by describing what I understand today, about QV Licenses and Development.

We do not want to do all of our development on the actual QlikView server, via RDP, as we all have QlikView Desktop Editions and laptops with 16GB of RAM, so we can hold a fair amount of data locally.

We currently have one server, which has been licensed with our QVSERVER license, for which we have 10 User CALs and 120 Document CALs.  Using QMC, we assigned Name User CALs to all developers on our team.  After we did this, we found that we could still not open up QVW files that we did not create.  Is this normal?

The next step we all performed was to open a QVW file using the "Open in Server" option to lease a license.  After performing these step, we found we were all able to open a QVW file irregardless of whether or not we were the creator.

In addition to our QVSERVER license, which I understand to be Production, we also have a QVSTEST license, which I understand to be a Test/Development QlikView server.  I read somewhere that license leasing is not available on a Test/Development QV Server?

Is there something concerning the connection between the ability to open QVW files, License Leasing and Name User CALs which I don't understand?  I guess I don't see how from a Developer perspective, how the Named User CALs on a test server are useful?

Is it that if we need to do development, we need to always lease a license from a Production server, and the Named User CALs on a Test/Development server are simply there for end users?

Thanks,

Chris

9 Replies
Not applicable
Author

Further details, our QVSTEST license has 15 Named User CALs and 150 Document CALs.

Oleg_Troyansky
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

You last paragraph is correct - Production CALs are for both users and developers, while Test/Dev server CALs are merely for testing purposes.

The logic is quite simple - Production Named CALs are purchased, and they can be used both for Users and for Developers, including the ability to "Lease the license" and continue working locally for 30 days.

Test/Dev CALs are not purchased, they are comin for free, mirroring the number of Production CALs that you purchased. Their role is simply to allow testing by the same number of people that have purchased CALs in Production.

I'm not a huge expert on licensing, but this is my best "in a nutshell" explanation...

danielrozental
Master II
Master II

In order to be able to open any QVW you need to lease a license from your local QlikView Developer. To do that you need a named CAL assigned to every developer and authorization to open at least one application in that server.

Once you have that just do an open in server, select your production server and open the application. That will lease you a license.

QVS TEST Servers do not lease licenses for development. As you said, licenses there are only for end user testing purposes.

Not applicable
Author

Thanks Dan.

So Named User CALs on a Test Server are essentialy wasted if you're users are not partaking in any true testing efforts? 

Can Named User CALs be transfered from a TEST license to a PROD license?

danielrozental
Master II
Master II

No, you usually don't purchase any CALs for your Test server. You only buy the server and it comes with the same number and types of CALs your production server has.

Not applicable
Author

Thanks for the explanation!  So any idea how I could end up with more Named User CALs associated to my QVSTEST than I do to my Production?

danielrozental
Master II
Master II

No, that's unusual, maybe someone typed a quanitiy wrong somewhere.

Not applicable
Author

Hi Dan,

Thanks for your info. But i have one more query, As i understood correctly we don't have to purchase any license for the test/development server. But since we get only one license for production server, how can we enable test/development license with same no. of named cal licenses.

Kindly guide us on the same.

Regards,

Akiv Kandlekar.

danielrozental
Master II
Master II

Akiv,

No, you need to purchase a Test Server License but you don't need to buy additional CALs.