Qlik Connect 2024! Seize endless possibilities! LEARN MORE
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Qlik View can not open a socket, why?

Hi everyone,

I am facing quite a strange issue with Qlik View 64 bits. I use it to connect to a database via an ODBC connection.

It worked for a while and suddenly, I started to get an error message when trying to reload a report. This message is:

SQL Error:Could not connect to the server;
Could not create Socket.
SQL State:08001
SQL SELECT id
FROM "db"."public".table

Nothing has changed from the ODBC connection and indeed, it is used successfully by other tools.

Would anyone know where this would be coming from?

Thank you.

16 Replies
Not applicable
Author

I tried that method as well but none of the 64 bits tools that I use works with the DSN file created.

When selecting the file, it fails with this message "[Microsoft][ODBC Driver Manager] Data source name not found and no default driver specified".

When selected within Qlik View, there is no error message and nothing happens. It is like I have never selected anything.

Miguel_Angel_Baeyens

Another workaround I haven't tested is using QlikView 32 bit edition (which supposedly will be able to load the 32 bit driver) and see if that works. Anyway, let's wait for some postgres experts in here to check for this!

Not applicable
Author

but then there would be limitations in the amount of memory that it can handle.

right?

Miguel_Angel_Baeyens

Correct, it won't get more than 4Gb running in your 64bit system. Anyway, I don't know whether QlikView 32 bits supports large address aware, and if not, it won't handle more than 2 Gb.

Not applicable
Author

Well this is really weird.

I reinstalled QlickView to be sure. The problem is still the same.

I tried with an OLE DB driver.

It is possible and easy to define a .udl file which would be valide and would succeed at the test of connection. But within QlikView, entering the very same information would fail the connection test. Furthermore, copying the content of the udl file to the QlikView script for connection would produce a new error:

SQL error: Cannot open DB connection.
could not create socket: A (0x0000277B/10107)

SQL SELECT id

FROM db

Once again, it seems that QlikView can not create a socket, while anything else can. I would really like to know why or how to fix it.

Miguel_Angel_Baeyens

rdordonne wrote:Well this is really weird.

Actually it is. Make a quick search for those error codes in Windows and the following comes up:

Error 0x0000277B: A system call that should never fail has failed.

Error 10107: A system call that should never fail has failed. This is a generic error code, returned under various conditions.

I've run out of ideas, but contacting both QlikTech and Microsoft support would be a good idea.

Note: In regards to postgres, I've read that uninstalling some firewall software avoided further errors...

Not applicable
Author

Probably already done, but upgrade your QV app to 9 SR6, regards.