Qlik Community

QlikView Scripting

Discussion Board for collaboration on QlikView Scripting.

Not applicable

Qlikview VBScript Engine

Greetings All QV Experts,

I have recently encountered a strange problem to which I still do not have a solution for.

I have a QVW which uses Macros. The QVW was developed in QV Desktop and when run on Windows 7 32Bit it works like a charm. However when I attempt to run the same Macros in a Windows 7 64Bit environment, I encounter unpredictable behavior(kinda like Memory Leak issues).

I suspect that this has something to do with the VBScript engine in the OS itself.

Can someone advise if they have encountered a similar problem before or could someone possibly provide me with an idea of how the QV actually runs Macros?

P/S I know using Macros aren't exactly the most elegant solution but with this particular solution it's required.

Regards,

Chee Keong, Chan

3 Replies
biester
Valued Contributor

Re: Qlikview VBScript Engine

We used lots of VBScript macros earlier, developped and tested under Win 7 32bit and executed in a 64bit environment but have never encountered unpredictable behaviour. But to investigate or advise further it would be helpful to have the "incriminated" code snippet posted.

Rgds,

Joachim

Not applicable

Re: Qlikview VBScript Engine

Thanks Joachim for your reply. I cannot post the "incriminating" code here as it contains some some sensitive but I can share with your my observations. There are some 20 functions & Subroutines in the module. What I found was that when functions and subroutines were called it seems to have "entered and exited" from one function to another ie. From Function A it produces returns results from Function B (not called at all in Function A) and the results are sometimes random ...

We call these functions in some parts of our load script and therefore this creates and returns random bits of strings in our data, have crosschecked the source data and they are clean.

Don't see this behaviour in the 32Bit environment. We're using QV11.20 SR4 the 64bit and 32bit versions.

Not applicable

Re: Qlikview VBScript Engine

Dear All,

I have tentatively "resolved" the issue by "downgrading" to QV11.0-SR2, now the macros work flawlessly. I can only offer the following observations to Qliktech:

From a layman perspective, compared to QV11.2-SR4, QV11.0-SR2 appears to data from the source at a slightly slower pace. I'm wondering if there were any multi-threading optimizations which might have led to this behaviour but anyway, I will leave this to the experts at Qliktech to have a look.

Please find below the log dump for both executions (QV11.2-SR4 and QV11.0-SR2).

12/15/2013 4:46:57 PM:      Execution started.

12/15/2013 4:46:57 PM:      QlikView Version:11.20.12129.0

12/15/2013 4:46:57 PM:      CPU Target                    x64

12/15/2013 4:46:57 PM:      Operating System              Windows 7 Professional Service Pack 1 (64 bit edition)

12/15/2013 4:46:57 PM:      Wow64 mode                    Not using Wow64

12/15/2013 4:46:57 PM:      MDAC Version                  6.1.7601.17514

12/15/2013 4:46:57 PM:      MDAC Full Install Version     6.1.7601.17514

12/15/2013 4:46:57 PM:      PreferredCompression          2

12/15/2013 4:46:57 PM:      EnableParallelReload          1

12/15/2013 4:46:57 PM:      ParallelizeQvdLoads           1

12/15/2013 4:46:57 PM:      AutoSaveAfterReload           0

12/15/2013 4:46:57 PM:      BackupBeforeReload            0

12/15/2013 4:46:57 PM:      EnableFlushLog                0

12/15/2013 4:46:57 PM:      SaveInfoWhenSavingFile        0

12/15/2013 4:46:57 PM:      UserLogfileCharset            1200

12/15/2013 4:46:57 PM:      OdbcLoginTimeout              -1

12/15/2013 4:46:57 PM:      OdbcConnectionTimeout         -1

12/15/2013 4:46:57 PM:      ScriptWantsDbWrite            false

12/15/2013 4:46:57 PM:      ScriptWantsExe                false

12/15/2013 4:46:57 PM:      LogFile CodePage Used:        1200

12/15/2013 5:28:02 PM:      Execution started.

12/15/2013 5:28:02 PM:      QlikView Version:11.0.11440.0

12/15/2013 5:28:02 PM:      CPU Target                    x64

12/15/2013 5:28:02 PM:      Operating System              Windows 7 Professional Service Pack 1 (64 bit edition)

12/15/2013 5:28:02 PM:      Wow64 mode                    Not using Wow64

12/15/2013 5:28:02 PM:      MDAC Version                  6.1.7601.17514

12/15/2013 5:28:02 PM:      MDAC Full Install Version     6.1.7601.17514

12/15/2013 5:28:02 PM:      PreferredCompression          2

12/15/2013 5:28:02 PM:      EnableParallelReload          1

12/15/2013 5:28:02 PM:      ParallelizeQvdLoads           1

12/15/2013 5:28:02 PM:      AutoSaveAfterReload           0

12/15/2013 5:28:02 PM:      BackupBeforeReload            0

12/15/2013 5:28:02 PM:      EnableFlushLog                0

12/15/2013 5:28:02 PM:      SaveInfoWhenSavingFile        0

12/15/2013 5:28:02 PM:      UserLogfileCharset            0

12/15/2013 5:28:02 PM:      OdbcLoginTimeout              -1

12/15/2013 5:28:02 PM:      OdbcConnectionTimeout         -1

12/15/2013 5:28:02 PM:      ScriptWantsDbWrite            false

12/15/2013 5:28:02 PM:      ScriptWantsExe                false

12/15/2013 5:28:02 PM:      LogFile CodePage Used:        1252

Community Browser