Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Lukas_H
Contributor III
Contributor III

Qlikview deleted all of my script and i can't reload or save the qvw

Hello,

i had a qlikview application which worked fine, i tried to automatically reload it via the QVS and that worked aswell.

Today i wanted to check if the QVS did the reload at 6am which he did, but if my collegues checked the Accesspoint they didn't see the application.

So i connected to the server and checked the qvw and the script was completely gone. It said something like "There is no Script that you can execute. Go to Settings->Document settings->Security->Reload".

So I did this and checked the box for reloading the script. Then i copied the script into the editor and tried to save it. Now QV is saying, the qvw needs a valid path and i need to save it before executing, but everytime i try to save it, it won't.

First i have to say that it's okay to overwrite the old qvw (because it's already there Qlikview just doesn't know???) and then the window closes and nothing happens. Sometimes QV completely freezes and i have to end the task in windows task manager.

Any suggestions why this is happening?

Nothing happend with my other application which reloaded just fine.

Labels (4)
5 Replies
Miguel_Angel_Baeyens

QlikView Distribution Service, also known as QlikView Publisher, creates a new copy of the file it publishes every time.

This copy does not have the script. If you are using QlikView Publisher this might be one cause.

Second is security, indeed. Open the QVW with QlikView Desktop, reload and make sure you see all the data you are expected to see.

The security prompt you see is likely because your user is not authorized to write on that folder, you will need to log in to the server with the same account that the QlikView services are running.

Last but not least, it might be that the original QVW is locked by QlikView, the operating system, antivirus or other software and does not let you save with the same name. If this is the case make sure you stop all services, disable all software and save the QVW, or save the file with a different name.

Lukas_H
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Thanks for your quick response!

Yes, i'm using Qlikview Distribution Service (which is running on another Server) but I don't find any copy of the qvw after it was reloaded.

I can't open and relaod the qvw because i can't save it first (even if it is saved already).

I have admin permission on the server and read/write permissons on the directory where the qvw is saved. The service user, which is running all the QV services also has the right permissons.

I deleted all of the remaining qvw from the directory and created a new qvw, now it works again.

Brett_Bleess
Former Employee
Former Employee

You can find your Source documents by check the path in the QMC\System\Setup\Distribution Services\QDS resource and the General tab settings is where you will find your Source Doc path(s).  If you have Publisher set to use the same path as the QlikView Server Root or Folder Mounts, that is NOT best practice and depending upon what version you are running, may have very well wiped things out, as I do recall a defect a while back where this was possible, it should not be happening in any of the 12.xx tracks as far as I can think.  I just wanted to clarify things, feel free to shout back, I will holler as quickly as I can if you can share a bit more info.

Regards,
Brett

To help users find verified answers, please do not forget to use the "Accept as Solution" button on any post(s) that helped you resolve your problem or question.
I now work a compressed schedule, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday, so those will be the days I will reply to any follow-up posts.
Lukas_H
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Hi Brett,

i guess i'm using the same path but why would i have different paths for these two? I don't want to multiply my documents, QV Server should just reload the one document so it has the new data and my collegues can access them via the browser.

Also i don't know what's the difference between the publisher and the Distribution Service. The only option where i can make changes to QV Publisher is typing in the license and i can't find any other option in QMC.

I'm not even sure what QV Publisher is supposed to do tbh.

Regards,

Lukas

Brett_Bleess
Former Employee
Former Employee

Lukas, the entire purpose of Publisher is to separate your source documents from your user documents such that if something becomes corrupted server-side in user documents, you can simply go back to your distribution task and redistribute a fresh version of the source document.  This is all covered in the System Administrators & Enterprise Architects course for QlikView, which if you are the QlikView System Admin, you should have attended, as this knowledge is key to getting your environment properly configured...

https://www.qlik.com/us/services/training/qlikview-training

That being said, I need further clarification to ensure we are on the same page here, as if you have only the Reload Engine, then things are different, so my next question is do you have a license for both QlikView Server and Publisher, or just QlikView Server?  If you do have a Publisher license, then you have configured things as if you have a Reload Engine, which is part of the QlikView Server functionality, there is no need for Publisher license...  

The other way to explain this is in the QMC, in the Documents tab, do you have both Source and User Document tabs there, or just User Documents?  Once you answer this, I can try to go into a bit more detail to get you on the right track, but again, the best course of action would be the training course...  That is offered as a webinar course where you have your own virtual environment during the course to work through the exercises etc...

Shout back when you can, and I can then try to explain in a bit more detail for you to get you on the right track depending upon what you really have here.

Regards,
Brett

To help users find verified answers, please do not forget to use the "Accept as Solution" button on any post(s) that helped you resolve your problem or question.
I now work a compressed schedule, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday, so those will be the days I will reply to any follow-up posts.