Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
asmithids
Partner - Creator II
Partner - Creator II

QuickBooks QODBC Driver Hanging

Hello,

I am using the QODBC.com Tools for QuickBooks driver on QV Designer 11.20, SR6.  I setup the QODBC driver (see screen shots 2 & 3).  I am able to query data using the VB Demo 32 utility (see screen shot 4).  However, when I reload the data into QV, the reload hangs (see screen shot 1).  Clicking on "End Here" or "Abort" does not close the reload window.  I need to use Task Manager to shutdown QV because QV does not respond at all. 

Thank you in advance for any help on this issue. 

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
asmithids
Partner - Creator II
Partner - Creator II
Author

All,

I got the QODBC working by NOT including all of the fields per table.  When I limit the number of fields per table to just want is needed, the reload works and completes without hanging Designer.  The interesting thing is that the number of records I am loading from these tables are less than 10k.

I hope this helps others having similar issues.

View solution in original post

16 Replies
rbecher
MVP
MVP

Hi Alec,

maybe it's related to the optimizer which stores data locally. You could try to disable this option (screenshot 3) and run again.

- Ralf

Astrato.io Head of R&D
asmithids
Partner - Creator II
Partner - Creator II
Author

Thank you Ralf. 

I tried disabling the Optimizer, but that did not resolve the hanging.  What doesn't make sense to me is that QV is fetching all of the data in the load script.  However, it's just not closing the function when the reload is finished. 

Not applicable

hi alec

in situations like these with software programs which are new to us, we typically suggest you use middleware to solve the problem of compatibility and get you up and running as quickly as possible:

http://support.flexquarters.com/esupport/index.php?/Knowledgebase/Article/View/2570/0/how-to-use-ms-...

if this does not help get you moving, please post a support ticket at our support board support.qodbc.com

thanks!

Not applicable

asmithids
Partner - Creator II
Partner - Creator II
Author

All,

I got the QODBC working by NOT including all of the fields per table.  When I limit the number of fields per table to just want is needed, the reload works and completes without hanging Designer.  The interesting thing is that the number of records I am loading from these tables are less than 10k.

I hope this helps others having similar issues.

rbecher
MVP
MVP

Interesting, so this confirms never to use SELECT * ... ?

Astrato.io Head of R&D
Not applicable

Hello Alec,i know you got it resolved but it could be a question of workload on your server ,since you not writing any script .I had encounter something similar today and had to reload and still got the error message 'end script' or 'abort '. My Qlikview 11 application was relaunched  before i could close the previous page.Thanks

Not applicable

Hi guys

it's useful to note that although most people assume an ODBC Driver will be

connected directly to a back end database, this is not the case with QODBC

which is a wrapper on the QuickBooks application itself and it's SDK

interface.

The only way to get data in and out of QuickBooks is to follow all of the

accounting rules in the application layer, which is why QODBC exists, to

make this SDK interface more standard and easier to use in various front

end software packages.

Therefore QuickBooks as a source will be not as robust as a back-end

database and certain large queries will strain the memory usage of

QuickBooks which is returning all of this data to us in XML form. Smaller

is better, so using less fields and limiting the date range of single

queries will produce superior results. thanks!

brad

On Wed, Jul 9, 2014 at 7:14 AM, Ola Odusanya <qcwebmaster@qlikview.com>

rbecher
MVP
MVP

This "Howto" post say nothing to the matter here... They should have point out NOT to use SELECT * .. !!

Astrato.io Head of R&D