Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tinkerz1
Creator II
Creator II

Re: Inheriting default fields into a list box using an expression

I still can't inherit when len<1 or isnull

=if(IsNull([Location L3]) OR Len([Issue - Location L3])<1,[Issue - Location L3],{[ABC]<[Location L3]=$::[Location L3]>})

5 Replies
swuehl
MVP
MVP

Neil,

not sure what you are trying to do here.

{[ABC]<[Location L3]=$::[Location L3]>}

looks like a set analysis expression to me, but this can only be used within aggregation functions.

tinkerz1
Creator II
Creator II
Author

Inheriting default fields into a list box using an expression

My full discusion is here, if you can take a look its very appreciated

swuehl
MVP
MVP

Sorry, I don't really get what you want from this post, too.

Could you upload a small sample QVW?

tinkerz1
Creator II
Creator II
Author

Location.PNG
Sorry I am restricted by what I can upload.

So I will try to explain by the picture above. they are list boxes, the 2nd column on a list box is an expression for both Name list boxes

I have 1 named state and one inherited state, on the left <state 1> I select france and and all the countries go '-'

The expression is just 'Location' in the Name field.

What I want is to hold the countries as in the 'Inherited state', thats why I thought after the selection you need an expression to look and inherited and pull in the original data.

My second question is in both states blanks to not show up, my thoughts are in the loading script to fill out these blanks with a '-' so you can see there are blanks in the data, or does QV have a solution for this in the settings?

Thanks.

Neil.

swuehl
MVP
MVP

as expression in your list box, try

=only({1} Location)

or

=only({$} Location)

With regard to blanks (I think you are referring to NULL) are not showing up, I think that is default behaviour, NULL is not a value.

You can try changing that (search for NULLASVALUE), or just creating a dummy value while loading:

LOAD

if(len(trim(Location)), Location, '--') as Location,

if(len(trim(Name)), Name, '--') as Name,

FROM ...;