Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rbecher
MVP
MVP

Regular Expressions RegExp

Hi,

we're using a VBScript Function to test regular expressions (similar to the cookbook example) in our load script.

Sometimes QV crashes with general script error, not depending on data or pattern. Is there an issue with VBScript stability in QV?

How are your experiences with regexp in QV?

Ralf

Astrato.io Head of R&D
3 Replies
Oleg_Troyansky
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Ralf,

I haven't had any experience with regexp, but in general, I noticed that macro stability is far worse than regular QlikView/QlikView script's stability. I also noticed that VBScript functions slow down the load process a lot, especially noticeable on large data sets.

I used to have a lot of fun with macros (as you could say, looking at my "QlikView Explorer" and "Colors" samples), but lately I'm trying to stay away as much as possible.

just my two cents...

Oleg

rbecher
MVP
MVP
Author

Oleg,

I know all this. But it's mostly the VBScript call, not the function itself is slowing down the script process (but also limit it to single cpu processing).

In this case we can live with the lower performance. We need it for our data profiling app.

Would be nice if regexp could become a QV script function. How else you could do things like this?

Ralf

Astrato.io Head of R&D
rwunderlich
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Hi Ralf,

I use RegExp a fair bit in script macros and haven't encountered any stability problems.

I do encounter stability problems when using macros in the UI and only use them there as a last resort. Using macros as script functions, I haven't encountered any problems.

-Rob