Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rustyfishbones
Master II
Master II

Run Batch Whether User is Logged on or Not

Hi All,

I have a number of Extract and Transform files that I need to reload using Windows Task Scheduler.

I need to run these whether the user is logged on or not, however this does not work because the Script Execution window needs to open to perform the reload.

I know I can schedule the reloads from the Server, however I don't want the Extract and Transform QVW to be seen on AccessPoint.

How can I get around this, the batch files work fine when I have selected "Run only when user is logged on".

I am sure this is an issue that's been solved by someone possibly gwassenaar or maybe stephen.redmond  or  stevedark

Under pressure to get this sorted

Regards

Alan

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
stevedark
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Hi Alan,

You can use QMC, as long as your folders are organised sensibly.  This article talks about folder structure:

http://www.quickintelligence.co.uk/qlikview-folder-structures/

You can then simply un-tick the Browsable check box next to your QVD generators and all should be well.

Using the QMC is the best route for reloads, as you get error trapping, alerting and logging.

Windows Scheduler can be used, and the progress window shouldn't cause a problem.  Macros and system access will do however.  Do you have the close on completion ticked on your progress window?

Any failures from Windows Scheduler will cause QV.exe to stay open on the box and clog memory.  It's well worth avoiding this approach if you can.

Hope that helps,

Steve

View solution in original post

12 Replies
stevedark
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Hi Alan,

You can use QMC, as long as your folders are organised sensibly.  This article talks about folder structure:

http://www.quickintelligence.co.uk/qlikview-folder-structures/

You can then simply un-tick the Browsable check box next to your QVD generators and all should be well.

Using the QMC is the best route for reloads, as you get error trapping, alerting and logging.

Windows Scheduler can be used, and the progress window shouldn't cause a problem.  Macros and system access will do however.  Do you have the close on completion ticked on your progress window?

Any failures from Windows Scheduler will cause QV.exe to stay open on the box and clog memory.  It's well worth avoiding this approach if you can.

Hope that helps,

Steve

Anonymous
Not applicable

Only folders that are mounted as Document Folders in the QlikView Server QMC config will have their qvw's available via AccessPoint.

If you place your Extract and Transform QVW's in folders that are not mounted as Document Folders for the QlikView Server then they will not be visible.

[Note:  This is for an environment running Publisher, not sure if it is the same if one does not have Publisher]

rustyfishbones
Master II
Master II
Author

Excellent thanks Steve,

I will attempt this now and see how I get on

Regards

Alan

rustyfishbones
Master II
Master II
Author

Thanks Bill

stevedark
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Bill, in QlikView Server without Publisher there is only one set of Folder Mounts, there are not separate ones for reloads and access point - as there is in Publisher.

The way you control things is quite different depending on whether you have Publisher or not.

Alan - there you have both ways of dealing with this.  Pick the correct solution for your set-up!

Steve

rustyfishbones
Master II
Master II
Author

Thanks Guys, I will let you know how I get on

Thanks again

rustyfishbones
Master II
Master II
Author

Another quick ?

Is there a limit to number of Continuous reloads you can have running.

I have 4 files,  2 Extract and 2 Transform, not huge amounts of Data but important to have the most up to date Data.

the 4 files don't take long to run, can I have them all run continuously?

Regards

Alan

rustyfishbones
Master II
Master II
Author

Hi,

I have another issue where when I click "Reload Now" my files reload no problem.

But when I try schedule the task nothing happens, all services are running.

Any idea what the issue could be?

2015-02-25_1308.png

rustyfishbones
Master II
Master II
Author

Hi All,

I managed to sort my original issue, I needed to change an option by editing the triggers for the Scheduled Task.

Now I can use Windows to run the reloads, which I need to do now because the server will not reload the Applications.

Very frustrating