Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Section Access Mutiple Fields

I want to make it so USER2 can only see CANADA in AMERICA. I want USER3 to see all countries in AMERICA. So I have the following:

Section Access;
LOAD * INLINE [
ACCESS, USERID, PASSWORD, REGION, COUNTRY
ADMIN, ADMIN, ADMIN,
USER, USER1, U1, AFRICA, *
USER, USER2, U2, AMERICA, CANADA
USER, USER3, U3, AMERICA, *
USER, USER3, U3, ASIA, *
USER, USER3, U3, ASIA, *
];

For some reason USER2 can still see other countries in AMERICA. Any ideas how to stop this? Thanks.

7 Replies
Miguel_Angel_Baeyens

Hello,

Did you checked "Strict exclusion" in your Settings menu, Document Properties, Opening?

Besides, note that "*" in section access doesn't mean "all values for the field" but "all listed values in section access for this field" so when you connect via client, you will see only CANADA for each user (if strict exclusion is selected so the reducion is actually taking place).

Hope that helps.

pljsoftware
Creator III
Creator III

Hello,

for more information about Section Access read this Introduction to Section Access

Not applicable
Author

Thanks for the reply. So that makes it seem like I'm not on the right path to accomplish what I want. I don't want USER3 to only be able to see CANADA, I want his to be able to see all countries in AMERICA. So does that mean I have to do:

USER, USER3, U3, AMERICA, USA

USER, USER3, U3, AMERICA, MEXICO

and so on for all countries. I don't think the * had the result I expected it would. I thought it meant USER3 could see all in AMERICA while USER2 could only see CANADA in AMERICA.

Is there some other way to go about this. If I have to list every combination this table is going to get very large as we have tens of thousands of users. Thanks.

Oleg_Troyansky
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Moshe,

contrary to Miguel's suggestion, I don't recommend using "Strict Exclusion" (that's how people lock themselves out of their documents). Your definition of '*' should work if you link your continents and countries properly to the proper fields in Section Application.

If you want to post a fragment of your script, I could possibly see what might be wrong...

cheers,

Not applicable
Author

my section access part (the Country field will have a name or '*' saved in it, i don't know if this is right):

LOAD
'USER' AS [ACCESS],
UPPER(WINDOWS_LOGON) AS NTNAME,
Region,
Country
FROM $(QVDPath)\Entitlement.qvd (qvd);

Section Application:

Countries:
LOAD
CountryID,
Country
FROM $(QVDPath)\Countries.qvd (qvd);

Regions:
LOAD
RegionID,
Region
FROM $(QVDPath)\Regions.qvd (qvd);

RegionCountries:
LOAD
RegionID,
CountryID
FROM $(QVDPath)\RegionCountries.qvd (qvd);

Sales:
LOAD
SaleID,
SaleAmount,
Country
FROM $(QVDPath)\Sales.qvd (qvd);

Not applicable
Author

I did check "Strict exclusion" with no luck.

Miguel_Angel_Baeyens

Hello,

Add the bolded line, otherwise the section access won't load (it happens when data comes from QVD files, the load needs to be unoptimized, this is one way to get it):

moshea444 wrote:LOAD
'USER' AS [ACCESS],
UPPER(WINDOWS_LOGON) AS NTNAME,
Region,
Country
FROM $(QVDPath)\Entitlement.qvd (qvd)
WHERE 1=1;

Hope that helps.