Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
brunodec
Contributor III
Contributor III

Section Access - logical OR on different fields

Hi,

I wondered if there is a way to have section access with a logical OR on two different fields. For instance, people out of different countries enter their time in a time writer application, and they book their time on projects. Each project is also linked to a country. Countrymanagers should be able to see all the time postings of their people (let's say where country = US) and also all time entries against projects from US. So they should also see the time spent from French people on US projects, and also from US people on French projects.

I tried as follows but it gives no data when user 'USMANAGER' logs on. When ADMINISTRATOR logs on, he gets everything (as expected).

Any ideas ?

Thanks !

Section Access;
Load * inline
[ACCESS, NTNAME, SEC_CODE
ADMIN, ADMINISTRATOR, SEC_ALL
USER, USMANAGER, SEC_US

];

Section Application;

star is *;
load * inline
[SEC_CODE , Employee_Country, Project_Country

SEC_ALL, *, *
SEC_US, US, *
SEC_US, *, US
];

13 Replies
brunodec
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Hi Stefan,

your post confused me, because I had tested it before and as an administrator I was quite sure I saw all the data, but when I now retried I saw no data at all, so you were right about that. Also, your comment gives some insight in what the synthetic key does.

After some playing around, I found out that when you use the space as wildcard, the administrator sees nothing. When you use the * preceeded by the expression 'star is *', as I did in my original post, then it turns out that the administrator sees all the data (see result in the image). Don't ask me why...

ResultAsAdministratorWithStar.bmp

Of course, back to the original problem, as USMANAGER, you still don't see any hours.

Thanks,

regards,

Bruno.

prieper
Master II
Master II

After having reloaded a document, you can see all the data.

You need to close not only the document, but the entire QV-session in order to see the data as per your profile.

Peter

prieper
Master II
Master II

After having thought a moment on this problem, think that you cannot combine the fields, but must divide them into individual pieces.

The below should work:

Section Access;

Load * inline

[ACCESS, USERID,PASSWORD, SEC_CODE

ADMIN, ADMINISTRATOR, , SEC_ALL

USER, USMANAGER, , SEC_US];

Section Application;

star is *;

load * inline

[SEC_CODE , COUNTRY

SEC_ALL, *

SEC_US, US];

Data:

LOAD *,  EMPLOYEE_COUNTRY & '-' & PROJECT_COUNTRY  AS SEC_ID INLINE [Employee, EMPLOYEE_COUNTRY, ProjectID, PROJECT_COUNTRY, HOURS

John, US, PRJ_01, US, 5

John, US, PRJ_02, NL, 6

Kees, NL, PRJ_01, US, 2

Kees, NL, PRJ_02, NL, 7];

SecurityCountry:

LOAD

SEC_ID,

SUBFIELD(SEC_ID, '-')    AS COUNTRY

RESIDENT

Data;

HTH
Peter

brunodec
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Hi Peter,

your solution is pretty much the same idea as pat.agen's second option. And it just works ! including a new function 'SUBFIELD' which makes it easy to generate records for each part from a given combination.

Many thanks to all of you for taking the time to share your thougths on this subject. You've been very helpful.

Kind regards,    

Bruno.