Skip to main content
Announcements
Live today at 11 AM ET. Get your questions about Qlik Connect answered, or just listen in. SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Section Access

Hi,

In section Access for particluar logins i have given the Access Type as USER and the Access to all the Customers. It is not working.

In the same time other login who has Access Type as USER and access to limited Customer is also working .

Also the login with Access Type as ADMIN and the Access to all the Customers is working fine.

Does it mean Access Type should be ADMIN so that he can have access to all Customers.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Miguel_Angel_Baeyens

Hello,

For what is worth, section access needs one line per allowed value in the reduction field, meaning that when the ACCESS of the user is ADMIN, and the document is opened in Desktop for developing, the REDUCTION field must be blank. This will not work accessing from clients (Plugin or AJAX), since all users are granted USER ACCESS regardless what you actually wrote in section access.

So in the following example:

STAR IS *; SECTION ACCESS;LOAD * INLINE [ACCESSS, USERID, PASSWORD, CUSTOMERIDADMIN, ADMIN, ADMIN, *USER, USER1, USER1, CUSTOMER1USER, USER1, USER1, CUSTOMER2USER, USER2, USER2, CUSTOMER1]; SECTION APPLICATION;

User ADMIN will only be able to see information for Customer1 and Customer2, since "*" in section access doesn't mean "all possible values" rather than "all listed values under the reduction field".

You will need to add as many lines as possible values REDUCTION field has.

Hope that helps.

View solution in original post

6 Replies
Not applicable
Author

Can you elaborate the behavior when you say that in the first case, it is not working?

Have you met the following requirements?

1. Checked the option Initial Data Reduction Based on Section Access on the Opening page of the Document Properties dialog?

2. The field names and values are with the same UPPERCASE name in both section access and section application?

3. Is there at least one field common between the section access and the section application with which you want to restrict the access. I guess that's the login field in your case, right? Or if the logins are categorized, try using the category field.

Regards,

-Karthik

Not applicable
Author

Hi karthick,

Thanks for response.Sorry for not providing the complete details.

All the logins are in the same file. When i tried to login some login worked and some not worked.

Hence

Have you met the following requirements?

1. Checked the option Initial Data Reduction Based on Section Access on the Opening page of the Document Properties dialog?

None of the logins will work if the option is not selected

2. The field names and values are with the same UPPERCASE name in both section access and section application?

None of the logins will work if this criteria is not met

3. Is there at least one field common between the section access and the section application with which you want to restrict the access. I guess that's the login field in your case, right? Or if the logins are categorized, try using the category field.

None of the logins will work if this criteria is not met.

tanelry
Partner - Creator II
Partner - Creator II

Maybe you miss the statement "star is *;".
This sure works:

Section Access;
// USERGROUP 0 has access to all customers, others restricted
LOAD * INLINE
[NTNAME, NTDOMAINSID, SERIAL, ACCESS, USERGROUP
admin, somenumbers, *, ADMIN, 0
manny, somenumbers, *, USER, 0
minny, somenumbers, *, USER, 1
qinny, somenumbers, *, USER, 2
];

Section Application;
star is *;

// now we limit access to CustomerGroup according to USERGROUP
CustomerGroupAccess:
LOAD * INLINE
[USERGROUP,CustomerGroup
0,*
] ;

Miguel_Angel_Baeyens

Hello Tanel,

Jus a couple of notes: in any case, the sentence "STAR IS *;" must precede any actual "*" used in the document, so according to your script, it would be the first line.

Apart from that, in Active Directory and other directories likely, the user must be given in the form DOMAIN\USERNAME, otherwise the document will not grant access to any user.

Regards.

Miguel_Angel_Baeyens

Hello,

For what is worth, section access needs one line per allowed value in the reduction field, meaning that when the ACCESS of the user is ADMIN, and the document is opened in Desktop for developing, the REDUCTION field must be blank. This will not work accessing from clients (Plugin or AJAX), since all users are granted USER ACCESS regardless what you actually wrote in section access.

So in the following example:

STAR IS *; SECTION ACCESS;LOAD * INLINE [ACCESSS, USERID, PASSWORD, CUSTOMERIDADMIN, ADMIN, ADMIN, *USER, USER1, USER1, CUSTOMER1USER, USER1, USER1, CUSTOMER2USER, USER2, USER2, CUSTOMER1]; SECTION APPLICATION;

User ADMIN will only be able to see information for Customer1 and Customer2, since "*" in section access doesn't mean "all possible values" rather than "all listed values under the reduction field".

You will need to add as many lines as possible values REDUCTION field has.

Hope that helps.

Not applicable
Author

Thanks Miguel and Tanel,

I have used ALL instead of *. Hence i was facing the problem. I have replaced ALL with * and it is working fine.