cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mpeters1988
Contributor
Contributor

Set Expression/Variable shorthand based on Parameters

So I've got a question which might be a bit of a stretch, but I want to ask you to bear with me:

I'd like to standardize some of my set expressions using a basic expression template based on variables and extending those expressions with parameters (which then might get filled with their own parameters).

The way I'm approaching this is by having a couple of basic set expressions contained in variables like so:

LET eSum.Sales = 'Sum({ $1 < $2 > }Sales)';

This can be defined in the load script but also in the front end, but this is just an example.

• Now the first parameter is easy, this is my basic set definition, either a $ or 1, or whichever combination you prefer.
  • The second parameter is a bit more tricky. This could take in any value, but I would like it to work with a shorthand name for a set modifier.

1. So this could be a basic implementation:

$(eSum.Sales($,))

//Result: Sum({ $ <  > }Sales)

2. And this would be a more manual but advanced version:

$(eSum.Sales($, [Year]={'2018'}))

//Result: Sum({ $ < [Year]={'2018'}> }Sales)

But now I have a table loaded with some standard set modifiers:

SetShorthandSetCode
ThisYear[Year]={'$(=Max([Year]))'}
ThisWeek[Week]={'$(=Max([Week]))'}

Now I can produce cases 1 and 2, but I would like to produce a variable which can concatenate a couple of set modifiers based on their shorthand. I have created a variable (see below) which can produce the string output of what I need, but I can't get it to work as a parameter of the first variable.

// Set modifier variable

LET SM = Replace(Concat({$<SetName={$1,$2,$3,$4,$5}>}DISTINCT SetDefinition, Chr(44)),Chr(35),Chr(36));

// Usage:

$(SM(ThisYear))

// Result:

[Year]={'$(=Max([Year]))'}

But when I try to use this variable as input for a parameter, I'm not getting the results I want. I've tried switching out the quotation signs, tried using the '=' sign for different variables and tried a couple of dollar expansions, but the best I can get is this:

// Usage: '$(eSum.Sales($,$(SM(ThisYear))}))'

Sum({$ <Replace(Concat({$<SetName={ThisYear>}[Sales])

Has anybody tried this kind of variable/set expression notations or does anybody know what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks in advance!

0 Replies