Qlik Community

QlikView Scripting

Discussion Board for collaboration on QlikView Scripting.

Announcements
QlikView Fans! We’d love to hear from you.
Share your QlikView feedback with the product team… Click here to participate in our 5-minute survey.
Rules, plus terms and conditions, can be found here.
Not applicable

Silent Batch Reload of qvw with logs

Hi,

I am searching for elegant technique to reload a qvw application, with a .BAT, that produce a log file and that not open pop-up windows if errors during the reload...

Thanks in advance,

Eric.

14 Replies
Not applicable

Hi Eric

You can add the following command to a batch file (obviously re-written for your own environment), we have lots of other stuff going on in batch files to update SQL Tables with start/end times but this is the part that calls the refresh:

CALL "C:\Program Files\QlikView\QV.exe" /r "E:\QlikView\UserQVW\QlikViewFileName.QVW" >> "E:\QlikView\LogFiles\RefreshLogFile.LOG"

Also, in your load script you should add the following command to ensure that no errors pop-up during processing:

SET ErrorMode=0

When you are refreshing locally (in development environment, when you want to see errors) you should change the above line to:

SET ErrorMode=1

Good luck,

Not applicable

Re. :Re: Silent Batch Reload of qvw with logs

Hi Nigel,

I tried your suggestions, it reloads well, but it doesn't produce any LogFile. The only way to produce a LogFile is to check it in the document properties...

For the errors pop-pup, if I add errors in my script, the popup still appears too...

Not applicable

Anybody ?

Or
Valued Contributor II

emontant wrote:
For the errors pop-pup, if I add errors in my script, the popup still appears too... <div></div>

Errormode=0 will prevent QlikView error messages from popping up. There's nothing you can do in QV about Windows error messages - e.g. ODBC connection failed (or at least, if there is, I've yet to figure them out).

Not applicable

Re. :Re: Re. :Re: Silent Batch Reload of qvw with logs

So what sort of error messages are hidden by the "ERRORMODE=0" instruction ?

Not applicable

Re. :Re: Re. :Re: Silent Batch Reload of qvw with logs

Hi

ERRORMODE=0 will stop any qlikview error messages from popping up during reload, this means that it will not give you a syntax error on a load statement for example, you should be aware though that (as it says above in this thread) it will not stop operating system errors and/or database connection errors.

I can't detail all of the messages that it won't show, and I can't detail all the messages it will show, but setting this value to zero certainly helped us to resolve QVW refreshes hanging during a silent reload.

Regards,

etay_netintent
New Contributor III

Hi Nigel.

I am attempting to use a scheduling tool called ControlM to schedule the reloads.

ControlM can not work with an application that has a Gui window opening.

I have attempted to place "CALL" in the bat file pre you suggestion, but still got the reload window.

Is it you experience that placing the CALL parameter will cause a Silent run - no Gui window with reload script popping up ?

With Many thanks

Etay Elazar

Not applicable

Hello,

I want to reload more than one qvw file with one .bat file, but I want the econt file to start reload after the first one has finished, because there are dependencies between them. Is there a way to do this.

Thanks.

Not applicable

Hi,

SET ErrorMode=0 is very bad practice. Suppose script loads a fact table from database and dimension tables

from local CSV files. If the database is down, result will be a small QVW with only dimension tables.

This is exactly the error you don't want to ignore.

-Alex

Community Browser