Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Store Qvd File with Today Date

Hi Everyone,

In my application, I am loading the qvw file file daily. So I want to store the Data into qvd with date suffix.

I am using the below script to create qvds.

Store Dinamalar_MoneyValue into Dinamalar_MoneyValue & '_'&$(vToday).qvd (qvd);

vToday is the variable that I have created as Date(Today(),'DD-MMM-YYYY')

It is not working, throw error while loading the file as in screenshot I have attached with this post.

Let me know if you have any idea to achieve this.

Thanks & Regards

Rajan

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
swuehl
MVP
MVP

I agree with Erica in using a let statement in your variable definition:

Let vToday = Date(Today(1),'DD-MMM-YYYY');

(I recommend also to use an explicite timer_mode for today and other timer functions, I assume time at function call is what you want in the script).

For the Store statement you just pass a filename without single quotes. The filename will not be evaluated for QV statements (besides dollar sign expansion), so there is no need to use concatenation operator & and single quotes to create a string

(in fact, all these stuff will just be part of your file name: Dinamalar_MoneyValue & '_'&14-Jan-2012.qvd )

This is probably not what you want, just use

Store Dinamalar_MoneyValue into Dinamalar_MoneyValue_$(vToday).qvd (qvd);

The dollar sign expansion will expand to your today's date, so the line will be evaluated as:

Store Dinamalar_MoneyValue into Dinamalar_MoneyValue_14-Jan-2012.qvd (qvd);

I believe this is what you want.

You already formatted yor data with - as separators, which is good. If you use / as separator like in US style, this would be interpreted as folder path separator by the Windows OS.

Hope this helps,

Stefan

View solution in original post

7 Replies
Not applicable
Author

Morning Rajan,

Are you using LET or SET to define the variable?

SETdefines it as a function, whereas LET will evaluate the function before storing to the vairable. to quote the helpfile

Set x=3+4;

Let y=3+4

z=$(y)+1;

$(x) will be evaluated as ' 3+4 '

$(y) will be evaluated as ' 7 '

$(z) will be evaluated as ' 8 '

Let T=now( );

$(T) will be given the value of the current time.

In this instance you need to use LET.

Also, when using the dollar sign expansion the variable may be evaluated as a direct text substitute in the expression.

So your

Store Dinamalar_MoneyValue into Dinamalar_MoneyValue & '_'&$(vToday).qvd (qvd);

may be evaluated as EG

4.50 & '_'&15-12-2011 - which would fail

instead of

4.5&'_'&'15-12-2011'.

IE it is evaluating it as if you wrote it directly into the script.To solve this I place dummy quote characters around the variable when declaring it. There is no "escape" character so i use the character chr(39) concatenated with the rest of the text.

Hope any of this helps.

Regards,

Erica

swuehl
MVP
MVP

I agree with Erica in using a let statement in your variable definition:

Let vToday = Date(Today(1),'DD-MMM-YYYY');

(I recommend also to use an explicite timer_mode for today and other timer functions, I assume time at function call is what you want in the script).

For the Store statement you just pass a filename without single quotes. The filename will not be evaluated for QV statements (besides dollar sign expansion), so there is no need to use concatenation operator & and single quotes to create a string

(in fact, all these stuff will just be part of your file name: Dinamalar_MoneyValue & '_'&14-Jan-2012.qvd )

This is probably not what you want, just use

Store Dinamalar_MoneyValue into Dinamalar_MoneyValue_$(vToday).qvd (qvd);

The dollar sign expansion will expand to your today's date, so the line will be evaluated as:

Store Dinamalar_MoneyValue into Dinamalar_MoneyValue_14-Jan-2012.qvd (qvd);

I believe this is what you want.

You already formatted yor data with - as separators, which is good. If you use / as separator like in US style, this would be interpreted as folder path separator by the Windows OS.

Hope this helps,

Stefan

Not applicable
Author

Thanks Stefan.

I didn't realise that you would get the '&' in there too, I've always passed the filename (unecessarily) in quotes. Learn something new!

What if I wanted to use a filename with eg a space in it, do you need to do someting else or can you just leave it... or just not pass the file to a path with spaces in it?

Erica

swuehl
MVP
MVP

Erica,

I usually try to avoid using spaces etc. in file / path names, but I know that sometimes you have to cope with it.

I haven't found to much about the possible syntax of the filename in the Help, maybe I just missed the relevant.

But it's it quite easy to try, so let's see:

It seems that you can just use spaces in your filename:

Store INPUT into  TestStore_ $(vToday) b.qvd;

Notice the two spaces after _ and before b. The resulting filename is

TestStore_ 2012-01-15 b.qvd

QlikView seems to parse the text after into a before the semicolon or a paranthesis as filename.

Store INPUT into  TestStore_ $(vToday) b.qvd (qvd);

Here, (qvd) is the file format indicator, not part of the filename. What, if you need paranthesis at the end of the filename (well, not really meaningful, but ...) or a space at the beginning?

Put your filename in single quotes:

Store INPUT into  ' TestStore_ $(vToday) b.qvd (qvd)';

Resulting filename is:

TestStore_ 2012-01-15 b.qvd (qvd)

Seems to work quite ok.

If you use enclosing single quotes as well as single quotes inside:

Store INPUT into  ' TestStore_'&' $(vToday) b.qvd (qvd)';

you'll get all single quotes removed, like this:

TestStore_& 2012-01-15 b.qvd (qvd)

If you only use the inside single quotes,

Store INPUT into  TestStore_'&' $(vToday) b.qvd (qvd);

the single quotes are still kept as part of the filename, and the file format specifier is also still part of the file name, little strange.

TestStore_'&' 2012-01-15 b.qvd (qvd)

And if you use only one single quote:

TestStore_'& 2012-01-15 b.qvd (qvd);

Let a = 10;

The file is stored with correct filename and without the (qvd), but the following statements are not syntax highlighted correctly and variable a is not set to 10.

So I think spaces should not be a problem, you could get some more work if you want to use single quotes. Here I stopped for now.

Regards,

Stefan

Not applicable
Author

Thanks Erica.

I got the result and the script is now creating the qvds. Thanks a lot.

Regards

Rajan

Not applicable
Author

Thanks Stefan.

I got the answer. I hvae corrected this file name convention by following your steps

Regards

Rajan

Not applicable
Author

Wow Stefan, hat is useful, thanks for that!

Erica