Qlik Community

QlikView Scripting

Discussion Board for collaboration on QlikView Scripting.

Announcements

Breathe easy -- you now have more time to plan your next steps with Qlik!
QlikView 11.2 Extended Support is now valid through December 31, 2020. Click here for more information.

Not applicable

Type of join in Qlikview

Hi,

I have two tables and when I perform join then in the resultant table I found that matching field in two tables are joined with inner join but the unmatched column will be joined as an what???

I am not getting it that Qlikview is doing inner join/ outer join or cross join  for unmatched records??

Tags (1)
5 Replies
oknotsen
Not applicable

Re: Type of join in Qlikview

An unspecified Join in Qlik is an Outer Join. So key values not finding a match in the table you are joining with will still be added, just like key values found in the table you join with without a match in the table you are joining to it will stay.

See attachment for an example with various joins.

May you live in interesting times!
jlongoria
Not applicable

This is a very good discussion of join/keep/concatenate:

Understanding Join, Keep and Concatenate

reanfadyl
Not applicable

‌if you create a single Straight Table with all your columns from both tables you should be able to see that the records that are linked by a key field appear on the same row for both tables , while those that are unmatched will appear on seperste rows, with nulls in the place of the unmatched column values.

oknotsen
Not applicable

Basically like in the example I attached.

May you live in interesting times!
reanfadyl
Not applicable

Hi,

I hadn't downloaded your example when I replied, but you are using list boxes. These will show you the relationships, but only as you make selections.

I like to use a Straight Table because it just lays it all out.  See attached.