Skip to main content
Announcements
Live today at 11 AM ET. Get your questions about Qlik Connect answered, or just listen in. SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Using Variables in GetContent

Hi

I have onve variable vSQL, this is set in a button and looks like:

= 'EXEC master.dbo.xp_AnalogWideHistory ' & vBatchStartTime & ', ' & vBatchStopTime & ', ' & 100000 & ', ' & vTag

The button then run a macro where I try to use this in EDX

SET SQL = ActiveDocument.Variables(vSQL)

(...)

GetEDXRequestString = "<Global method=""RequestEDX"" key=""" & strRequestKey &  """><i_TaskIDOrTaskName>" & strTaskName & "</i_TaskIDOrTaskName><i_Password>" & strTaskPassword & "</i_Password><i_VariableName >vSQL</i_VariableName ><i_VariableValueList ><string>" & SQL.GetContent.String & "</string></i_VariableValueList ></Global>"

When I run the macro I get the following error:

Object required: 'SQL'

and it then highlights the last part of the GetEDXRequestString mentioned above.

What am I doing wrong?

Dan

11 Replies
Miguel_Angel_Baeyens

Hi Dan,

SQL is a keyword fro QlikView, just change the name of the variable to xSQL or something different.

Hope that helps.

Miguel

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Hi Miguel.

Tahnks for your post, unfortunately this dod not help

I tried changing it to varSQL, but get this error:

Object required: 'varSQL'

Dan

Miguel_Angel_Baeyens

Dan,

Maybe it's a typo, but the variable needs to be enclosed in double quotes:

SET SQL = ActiveDocument.Variables("vSQL")

So you can refer later to it

SQL.GetContent.String

Hope that helps.

Miguel

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

This is how it looks right now:

Dim varSQL

'Dim stringSQL

SET varSQL = ActiveDocument.Variables("vSQL")

'SET stringSQL = SQL.GetContent.String

(...)

GetEDXRequestString = "<Global method=""RequestEDX"" key=""" & strRequestKey &  """><i_TaskIDOrTaskName>" & strTaskName & "</i_TaskIDOrTaskName><i_Password>" & strTaskPassword & "</i_Password><i_VariableName >vSQL</i_VariableName ><i_VariableValueList ><string>" & varSQL.GetContent.String & "</string></i_VariableValueList ></Global>"

Still no effect.

But I also now tested to output the "vSQL" in a msgbox, like: msgbox("String: " & vSQL). This returns empty.

The error that I get is still:

Object required: 'varSQL'

But I am now not sure if that is because the variable it self is set to empty(as shown in the msgbox) or is it in the method that I try to use it.....

Dan

Miguel_Angel_Baeyens

Hi Dan,

Go to the Settings menu, Variable Overview, find vSQL and set any random value just to make sure that the macro works fine. As far as I see, the code seems to be all right and varSQL is an object provided vSQL exists in the document and has any value. Check that you are not declaring varSQL in one sub and calling from another as a "private" variable.

Hope that helps.

Miguel

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

I tried to change the vSQL to 'dan'.

Also created a textobject showing the value: = 'sql: ' & vSQL

This now shows 'dan'.

When hitting the button the msgbox appears but still no data in it.

Dan

Miguel_Angel_Baeyens

Dan,

Then it must be something else, because the variable exists and gets the value. The following macro lines should do to check whether a variable is created has some content:

Sub CheckVariable

SET vCheck = ActiveDocument.Variables("vVariableNameHere")

MsgBox(vCheck.GetContent.String)

End Sub

That should return the value of the variable "vVariableNameHere".

Something in previous lines of macro is overwriting the variable value perhaps?

Hope that helps.

Miguel

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Now we are talking.

I found the problem with the variabel at least.

I have two buttons, one that saves the variables and one that runs the macro.

I had to place the vSQL in both buttons. Not sure why, but now that part works.

I still cant get the code to run, but at least the variabel is now part of the string.

Tried these two lines

'GetEDXRequestString = "<Global method=""RequestEDX"" key=""" & strRequestKey &  """><i_TaskIDOrTaskName>" & strTaskName & "</i_TaskIDOrTaskName><i_Password>" & strTaskPassword & "</i_Password><i_VariableName >vSQL</i_VariableName ><i_VariableValueList ><string>" & varSQL.GetContent.String & "</string></i_VariableValueList ></Global>"

GetEDXRequestString = "<Global method=""RequestEDX"" key=""" & strRequestKey &  """><i_TaskIDOrTaskName>" & strTaskName & "</i_TaskIDOrTaskName><i_Password>" & strTaskPassword & "</i_Password><i_VariableName ></i_VariableName ><i_VariableValueList ></i_VariableValueList ></Global>"

The latter one works, but that one does not hold any info about the variable, so obviously it will not affect anything. But it runs.

I need to get the top one to run in some manner.

Thanks for your help and patience so far!

Dan

Miguel_Angel_Baeyens

Hi Dan,

I'd use the same macro for both things. You can use the CALL to call another sub or function within a different sub, so although you have two different subs (one that sets the variable the other that runs the trigger) the main is called only once, and this calls to the one that sets the variable.

Sub SetVariable

SET vSQL = ActiveDocument.Variables("vSQL")

vSQL.SetContent "Something", true

End Sub

Sub TriggerEDX

Call SetVariable

'' You need to create the object in this function (it's private)

SET vSQL = ActiveDocument.Variables("vSQL")

'' This line shoud print the string Something

MsgBox(vSQL.GetContent.String)

End Sub

Hope that helps.

Miguel