Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ferha_jafri
Partner - Creator III
Partner - Creator III

Where qlikview saves data

Hello everyone,

I need help in understanding the memory management of qlikview,what my understading says is that ,the qlikview application i.e the qvw is saved on hard disk and then when we open qvw on server it get loaded into RAM with complete data and layout,i want to know whether i am correct because i am confused as read so many documnets on this,i need help on this ,it is urgent..

Thanks in advance

Ferha Jafri

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Not applicable

Hi Ferha,

There are a number of things to consider in how Qlikview uses memory. You're correct in saying the .QVW is stored on disk and then QV upon openning it, loads the entire data model into RAM. As a very rough guide, the size on disk is usually about 8 times smaller than in RAM.

If you are using the QV Server, then this will occur on the server's RAM. If a second user opens the same app, then it will only add a small(ish) more to the RAM, the third, even less, etc.

Do you have a more specific concern you need to address? For example, your server is struggling and your RAM consumption is really high?

View solution in original post

5 Replies
Not applicable

Hi Ferha,

There are a number of things to consider in how Qlikview uses memory. You're correct in saying the .QVW is stored on disk and then QV upon openning it, loads the entire data model into RAM. As a very rough guide, the size on disk is usually about 8 times smaller than in RAM.

If you are using the QV Server, then this will occur on the server's RAM. If a second user opens the same app, then it will only add a small(ish) more to the RAM, the third, even less, etc.

Do you have a more specific concern you need to address? For example, your server is struggling and your RAM consumption is really high?

ferha_jafri
Partner - Creator III
Partner - Creator III
Author

Hello Dave,

I am at a client and i have give a training to the user ,there main concern is that why they have to wait for 10 min after making there selections RAM is 4 GB here.

Not applicable

Are you working via browser, using QV server, or using the QV desktop edition?

ferha_jafri
Partner - Creator III
Partner - Creator III
Author

Users access through access point

Not applicable

Do you have access to the server? A couple of things to check:

1. ping time to the server (just in case it's the network)

2. on the server, check the CPU and Memory usage.

I did have a case once where our server (which had 96GB of RAM) nearly ran out of RAM, which was ridiculous for the size of files in use. By restarting the QVS service on the server, it brought the RAM back down.